apartment number at the beginning of address

Jump to solution
04-09-2014 07:39 AM
Kazi_IshtiakAhmed
New Contributor
Hi,
I have been customizing Canadian dual range address locator. Right now I am working on customizing the locator to deal with addresses with apartment/suite numbers.
The code at this moment are able to geocode address that has apt/suite numbers at the end or beginning

for ex: 11 Sherwood Avenue Suite 228 or Apt#2019, 121 Davisville Avenue

But it cannot geocode the addresses when apartment numbers are written in a special way (a somewhat common way of writing in Toronto):

For example (re-written the addresses mentioned above): 228-11 Sherwood Avenue, 2019-121 Davisville Avenue...

Any hint on how to accommodate this way of writing addresses?

There is a section in the lot file 'Units and numbers at the beginning of address'..where
the separator is defined by 'OptNumSeparator'
the OptNumSeparator definition refers to Numseparator:

<def name="OptNumSeparator">
      <alt>
           <elt ref="NumSeparator"/>
      </alt>
      <alt/>
</def>

and the NumSeparator is defined as below:

<def name="NumSeparator">
      <alt>-</alt>
      <alt>#</alt>
      <alt>/</alt>
</def>

So it seems that "-" separator is already defined and I can't seem to understand why it is not geocoding this addresses with this specific separator (ex: 228-21 Sherwood Avenue)

Thanks in advance
Kazi
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AgathaWong
New Contributor III
The problem has been resolved by modifying the parsing grammars in the customized locator style.

Agatha Wong
Esri
380 New York St
Redlands, CA 92373

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kazi_IshtiakAhmed
New Contributor
No one has any ideas?:(

..All I need is to include something that geocodes the following address format (2009-121 Davisville avenue...here 2009 is the apt number)...the other types are working fine...
0 Kudos
AgathaWong
New Contributor III
Kazi,

The way presenting apartment addresses in a hyphenated number is unusual. I believe the number may have been parsed as a hyphenated house number as designed by the style.

If you send me your locator style and a small reference dataset, I can look at it and find a solution for you.

My email address is awong@esri.com.

Regards,
Agatha Wong
Esri
380 New York St
Redlands, CA 92373
0 Kudos
Kazi_IshtiakAhmed
New Contributor
Hi Agatha,
Thank you and an email has been sent your way.

Cheers
Kazi

Kazi,

The way presenting apartment addresses in a hyphenated number is unusual. I believe the number may have been parsed as a hyphenated house number as designed by the style.

If you send me your locator style and a small reference dataset, I can look at it and find a solution for you.

My email address is awong@esri.com.

Regards,
Agatha Wong
Esri
380 New York St
Redlands, CA 92373
0 Kudos
AgathaWong
New Contributor III
The problem has been resolved by modifying the parsing grammars in the customized locator style.

Agatha Wong
Esri
380 New York St
Redlands, CA 92373
0 Kudos