My Content is not viewable

04-02-2014 06:21 PM
johngriesbaum1
New Contributor
Hello,  I have created and added a shape and layer file to "My Content" and installed ArcGIS for Android on my phone.  I attempt to create a map but neither of the two files that I have added are found when I search for layers in "My Content".  When I access "My Maps" in the ArcGIS android app I get a message that states there is "no viewable content".  What types of content are viewable?

Thanks
John
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
John,

when you add shapefiles to my content you won't be able to add them to any map. You need to add your zipped shapefiles directly to a map.

With an organizational account you can however add feature services to your content, then you will be able to add them to your map and you will be able to find them.

Hope this clears it up!

Tim
0 Kudos
JohnGriesbaum
New Contributor
yes it does, very helpful!!  I have added a few point layer's and am wondering if there is a way to edit them in the android app like you can with the arcgis.com map viewer?

Thanks
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
John:

Try the new Collector for ArcGIS app (10.2.2).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esri.arcgis.collector

Then, at a browser on a computer, load your zipped shapefile into your My Content area and be sure to make it a Feature Service.  Go to the new shapefile feature service details page and enable editing.  Open a new map, add your shapefile feature service, choose a map background then save the map.  On your Android device, open the Collector App and log into your ArcGIS Online account and find your new map.  Edit your points.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
John:

Try the new Collector for ArcGIS app (10.2.2).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esri.arcgis.collector

Then, at a browser on a computer, load your zipped shapefile into your My Content area and be sure to make it a Feature Service.  Go to the new shapefile feature service details page and enable editing.  Open a new map, add your shapefile feature service, choose a map background then save the map.  On your Android device, open the Collector App and log into your ArcGIS Online account and find your new map.  Edit your points.

Just remember, for this you would need an organizational or a developer account.
0 Kudos