Stat summary for Jurisdictional Boundary

03-31-2014 02:46 PM
tA
by
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to find a tool that will give me a summary of how much land(acres)  over 30% slope lies within each polygon (forests).  I have a forests polygon layer and a slope raster layer.  This seems like a very easy concept, yet I am struggling to find a tool that works.
Thanks your time and help!

TA
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor
TA,

First, create a raster which classifies your raster into a binary '>30%' or '<=30%' grid. You can use, for example, the raster calculator to compute this. Once you have that in hand, the operation you're looking for is called zonal statistics: you want to get sums based on the polygons you have. You should be able to use the Zonal Statistics as Table tool for that step.

chers,
Shaun
0 Kudos
tA
by
New Contributor
Have you ever tried the isectpolyrst tool in the GME toolkit.  I keep getting errors...
0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor
umgrad,

I haven't used it recently, but unless you need the specific behavior GME provides, the approach I mentioned above should do what you're asking for. If you're getting errors with GME specifically, you'll probably have to contact its author for help, I'm not sure if there is a public forum for support specifically for GME.

cheers,
Shaun
0 Kudos
tA
by
New Contributor
Shaun,
I am wondering if the "sum" in the zonal stats as table tool will give me the total area in acres of the specific polygon I am interested in?
Thanks
0 Kudos