Basemap Arcgis and GPS point

03-24-2014 03:51 AM
RafaAlcala
New Contributor
Hi, I am working online with the basemap of Arcgis at world imagery. I am working in at small area of York. I took some gps point with a garmin etrex with position frmt: UTM/UPS, map datum: WGS84, units: meters, like the basemap. I would like to pass this mark to Arcgis but when I have done, no point it is put properly. Could you help me with this, please?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Can you share this data?
0 Kudos
RafaAlcala
New Contributor
How can I share the data with you?, what data do you need exactly?. I checked some gps point at google earth and it is correct. So Perhaps the problem it is in the coordinate system of the dataframe. If I look on the bottom of the display where you can see the coordinate of the mouse and the units, I see

This is the information of the data frame (coordinate system):
WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere
WKID: 3857 Authority: EPSG

Projection: Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere
False_Easting: 0.0
False_Northing: 0.0
Central_Meridian: 0.0
Standard_Parallel_1: 0.0
Auxiliary_Sphere_Type: 0.0
Linear Unit: Meter (1.0)

Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_WGS_1984
Angular Unit: Degree (0.0174532925199433)
Prime Meridian: Greenwich (0.0)
Datum: D_WGS_1984
  Spheroid: WGS_1984
    Semimajor Axis: 6378137.0
    Semiminor Axis: 6356752.314245179
    Inverse Flattening: 298.257223563
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
How are you pulling in the data? Do you have a spreadsheet?
0 Kudos
RafaAlcala
New Contributor
Yes I have a spreadsheet in excel with the point. The number which I can see in the bottom at the rigth corner. Above the toolbox display, it is two number -117411,....  716179.... meters. The strange number it is this minus (-) sign before the number.

I pull the data with add XY data, select the sheet from the spreadsheet (excel file) and select the coordinate system of WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere. The layer is created and all the point are some part of France. I do not know why, I selected the same coordinate system that my data frame.

I try to convert a point (with same value that I took) from google earth to arcgis with KML to layers (from conversion tools) and it is not totally in good location but it is better than with arcgis tools (add XY data) and I do not know why?
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Rafa,

did you try and switch the X and the Y coordinates and see if that fixes the location?

Tim
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi,

You said originally that the GPS was set to use UTM/UPS. Try setting the coordinate system of your XY data to WGS 1984 UTM zone 30N (north). UTM 30N coords near York are the same values that you would get in France using the WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Aux Sphere) coordinate system.

This assumes that the coordinate values are around easting/x = 625000 m, northing/y = 5980000 m. (York Museum Gardens)

If not, can you post a row from your spread sheet? Or copy a row or two, export it to text/csv and post that, if possible.

Melita
0 Kudos
RafaAlcala
New Contributor
Rafa,

did you try and switch the X and the Y coordinates and see if that fixes the location?

Tim

Yes I tried to do it however it did not work
Thanks you Tim for your idea, any idea it is welcome
0 Kudos
RafaAlcala
New Contributor
Hi,

You said originally that the GPS was set to use UTM/UPS. Try setting the coordinate system of your XY data to WGS 1984 UTM zone 30N (north). UTM 30N coords near York are the same values that you would get in France using the WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Aux Sphere) coordinate system.

This assumes that the coordinate values are around easting/x = 625000 m, northing/y = 5980000 m. (York Museum Gardens)

If not, can you post a row from your spread sheet? Or copy a row or two, export it to text/csv and post that, if possible.

Melita

The set up is
Position Frmt: UTM/UPS
Map Datum: WGS84
Unit: Metric
North ref: Grid
Variance: 0,02 E
Angle: Degrees

I attached to you a file.txt with some point

You said that UTM 30N coords York are the same value that I will find in France using the WGS 84 Web Mercator (Aux sphere) coordinate system. However when I introduce my value (gps point) in googe earth, there are location in York not in France. This is why I am too bewildered. Thanks you for your help
0 Kudos
RafaAlcala
New Contributor
I have found a web where it is possible to convert the coordinate with different system.

http://www.nearby.org.uk/coord.cgi?p=30U%2C627247%2C5980688&f=conv

It show me acceptable results. They do not have a high accuracy but it is worth. In any case I am still searching a way to do it well in arcgis.

Thank you in advance to help me to deal with this problem

After convert the point into WGS 84 British, I tried to make a excel sheet to transfer to Arcgis but again do not located in good place. However if I write the lat/long as go to XY, it locates well
0 Kudos