AnsweredAssumed Answered

Understanding the full iOS app creation process

Question asked by jvickrey79 on Mar 20, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 by SBaskaran-esristaff
Greetings,

I'm new to iOS development and wanted to layout a scenario to see if I'm fully understanding the deployment process or not. 

If I simply wanted to create an iOS app that would alert users when they were within a mile of any gas station and I had the gas stations as a point feature class. 

1) Do I assume I have to push out a MapService (gas station buffers) from ArcGIS Server or is it possible to deploy the app with static offline gas stations tied to the GPS current location in order to determine if the user has crossed the 1 mile buffers?

2) Can I simply create this type of app by just using a Mac with Mountain Lion, xCode, ArcGIS Runtime SDK for iOS.  Anything else needed?

3) Would I just register for Basic Licensing and use the Client ID within my application or would I have to additionally pay for an ArcGIS Server license in order to push out a mapservice for the gas stations? (similiar to question 1)

I'm just trying to get a full understanding if ArcGIS Server is really needed in this type of app, licensing, building and deploying it, etc.  Many thanks.

Outcomes