Offline Download Error "A Layer Does Not Have The Correct Editing Capabilities"

Jump to solution
03-18-2014 09:22 AM
KevinWatt
New Contributor III
I have been successful downloading point and line layers for offline use with collector.  I tried adding a parcel polygon layer (published from ArcGIS desktop as a feature service), and now when I try downloading for offline in the collector app, I get the error  "A Layer Does Not Have The Correct Editing Capabilities".

I have checked the polygon layer and it has editing and enable sync checked.  I have tried republishing the dynamic map feature service to ArcGIS.com, and adding it to a new map as well.  The error still persists.  As soon as I remove the polygon layer the maps download for offline with no errors.

I tried two other polygon layers as well and it also gave me the same error.  I also tried this on two different android devices.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?  Is it possible that polygons are not supported for offline use?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinWatt
New Contributor III
That did the trick.  They were set up edit/update attributes only.  Once i changed it to full editing I was able to download successfully.

Thanks again Russ!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
The editing capabilities will need to be set to full editing "Add/Update/Delete". Are any of the services in your web map set to Add or Update only?

Russ
0 Kudos
KevinWatt
New Contributor III
That did the trick.  They were set up edit/update attributes only.  Once i changed it to full editing I was able to download successfully.

Thanks again Russ!
0 Kudos
KieranParsons
New Contributor
I was under the impression that you only needed at least one layer with full editing capabilities turned on in a map; and then you could added other layers that had various, or no, editing abilities turned on.

However if I add layers to my map (that have one layer with full editing turned on) that have no or limited editing turned on, when I go to take maps offline I get the message "A layer does not have the correct editing capabilities".

Can you please elaborate on this? I would really prefer to have some layers fully editable, and other only partially editable (update attributes only etc) in the same map.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor
Currently offline requires every feature service in the map to have full editing capabilities to for offline use.  We do support disabling editing at the webmap layer to allow for use of read-only features in the field.  In a future release we will be adding in support for finer grained control in the field so that you can do things like, prevent deletion, update attributes only and allow new feature creation only.
0 Kudos
KieranParsons
New Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply, Paul.
0 Kudos
CCWeedcontrol
Occasional Contributor III
Is it possible to use a layer package in a similar fashion to using a tile package offline? I would like to add a parcel layer to my offline map but it is only for reference and it would be best not to have it editable.

John Nelson
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Layer packages are currently not supported. You can disable the editing on the layer at the web map level and the app will not display that layer in the template picker and you wont be able to edit existing features.
Russ
0 Kudos
CCWeedcontrol
Occasional Contributor III
Layer packages are currently not supported. You can disable the editing on the layer at the web map level and the app will not display that layer in the template picker and you wont be able to edit existing features.
Russ

Ok, that does what I need it to. Thanks Russ!

Cheers,
John Nelson
0 Kudos
AndrewHargreaves
Occasional Contributor II
Just to be clear: even those Feature Services on which you 'disable editing'  will still need to be set to full editing "Add/Update/Delete" for this to work offline.

Thanks
0 Kudos