On click on map is cumbersome in IE8

03-12-2014 09:50 AM
vinayb
by
New Contributor III
HI All,

I know that IE8 is not good browser when it comes to rendering graphics and many other stuff but my problem is my clients only wants to use IE8 and in my app onClick functionality is the most important functionality but problem users find it cumbersome when you click on map is there any way i can improve usability of map?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum
can you describe how clicking is cumbersome? and how it is different in ie8 than other browsers?
0 Kudos
vinayb
by
New Contributor III
Sometimes what happens when user click on the cursor is struck for few Milliseconds and back to normal and if user is clicking very fast lets 10-20 times continuously on different portions of map then map kind of gets struck with the mouse pointer and moves with the pointer.
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
the map sticking to the cursor in IE has been an issue for a long time.  It is limited to IE, but it is not limited to clicking

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/7610-mouse-cursor-stuck-with-the-map

Unfortunately there is no known workaround/solutions that I am aware of.
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
a little more research makes me think that IE is interpreting fast clicking as a long click

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/92878-stuck-in-pan-mode-after-long-pressing-the-map

so there might be a solution for disabling navigation
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
It is probably more of a hardware and software maintenance issue.

First step is have your user clear their history on IE8
With IE8 open press  control>Shift>Delete and it will open the delete history window.  Make sure to keep passwords.

Performance of the browser is also DIRECTLY related to the amount of junk they also have their browser performing.  Add on browser extensions will drag you DOWN.  If your person keeps their log ins active on a number of sites this drags you down as well.  The above step will reset all those.

In fact have them reset IE8.  Go into IE click on the Tools>Internet Options>Advanced Tab and click the RESET button.

This will flush all the junk out of your browser and let you start fresh.  Un-check the delete personal settings and it will keep passwords and bookmarks.

If you have someone who is using IE8 chances are they have been using it for a long time and it probably has a lot of garbage associated with it.

In this order also run
Error Checking  (this may or may not require a re-boot. It can take a long time, so I generally do this when I go home at night)
Disk Cleanup
Disk Defragmentor

As I write, it is probably NOT an IE8 issue, just the way is being maintained.

As a final step determine how much space is left on the users hard drive.  IF it is under 15% then take some steps to FREE up disc space.

Sometimes what happens when user click on the cursor is struck for few Milliseconds and back to normal and if user is clicking very fast lets 10-20 times continuously on different portions of map then map kind of gets struck with the mouse pointer and moves with the pointer.
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
We have seen this on brand new machines with IE8.  Its not a hardware/software issue, its a browser issue
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
I would still reset the browser to clear out the add on's especially with new machines.  New machines, often do no come clean.

Dell and Lenovo are good examples.  They often come with Bing bar, ASK and other things.  McAfee is a browser memory hog as well.

I am using IE8 right now on this computer and I have had zero issues with it.

We have seen this on brand new machines with IE8.  Its not a hardware/software issue, its a browser issue
0 Kudos