sdemon -o info -I users with Oracle Diret connect

03-10-2014 08:02 AM
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III
Hi all

How do I run a sdemon -o info -I users   in 10.1/10.2 using Oracle Dierct connect?

Thanks
0 Kudos
13 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Here's the syntax required:

sdemon -o info -I <{users | users_long | config | stats | locks | vars | instances}>
[-q] {[-i {<service> | <port#> | <direct connection>}]
[-s <server_name>] | [-H <sde_directory>]}
[-u <user_name>] [-p <user_password>] [-D <database_name>]

Here's an 11g example assuming your TNSNAMES.ora file is up to date:

sdemon -o info -I users -i sde:oracle11g:DATABASENAME -s SERVERNAME -u sde -p password -D DATABASENAME@password
EmadAl-Mousa
if you are using direct-connect, you can connect using "sde" user account through ArcCatalog and check the list of connections hitting your geodatabase (which is equivalent to sdemon -o info I users command).

sdemon -o info -I users ------> is SDE command line that can be used if you install the ArcSDE binary on your database server OR install  ArcSDE for windows platform on your local machine.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
The 'sdemon' utility communicates with the application server daemon.  If you're not
using an application server, you should use the Geodatabase Administation ArcGIS tool
that access the geodatabase system tables directly.

- V
0 Kudos
JoseSanchez
Hi all,

I am getting the following error message  "Entry for SDE instance not found in services file, Unable to get users"
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I am getting the following error message  "Entry for SDE instance not found in services file, Unable to get users"

How about telling us which version of Oracle you're running.  Are you running the SDEMON command from the database server directly or from a client machine?  You should heed Vince's and Emad's advice if you're not using the ArcSDE application service altogether.  My post above was simply to provide the syntax that would help from a direct connect standpoint.
0 Kudos
JoseSanchez
Hi

I am using Oracle Client 11G and ArcGIs 10.2 or 10.1. I am runiing SDE commands from my workstation

when I type:
C:\>sdemon -o info -I users -s <server name>  -i <service number>    It works fine
ArcSDE Instance 5192 Registered Server Tasks on s0140404 at Mon Mar 10 13:12:06
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
S-ID   User     Host:OS                          Started

but when I type the same command with an oracle direct connection, it does not work and shows the message  "Entry for SDE instance not found in services file, Unable to get users"

C:\> sdemon -o info -I users -s <server name> -i sde:oracle11g:<instance name>
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
My apology; the post I made above is wrong and I think this is really what Vince was saying above.  Using direct connect syntax with the SDEMON command will not work because that would mean you are trying to use the ArcSDE service daemon to talk directly to the database.  I don't believe it is designed to work this way, though other SDE commands do accept the direct connect syntax.  Alternatively, you can use SQL to query the PROCESS_INFORMATION ArcSDE system table to obtain information about your Oracle user-schema geodatabase or you can use the tools within ArcCatalog as suggested by Vince and Emad.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I just used a direct connect syntax to connect to a PostgreSQL database with 'sdemon',
so it is possible. 

You will have to use the correct 10.1+ syntax for the database:

• SDEHOME must be defined for an install with the appropriate drivers

• PATH must include SDEHOME/bin and the appropriate 64-bit database install

• Use '-i sde:<dbkeyword>:<databaseref_and_opts>', with '-u' and -p' flags

• No '-s' parameter (it's ignored)

• Specify the correct database ('-D') if non-Oracle

Remember that your Direct Connect will be reflected in the connection list.

And keep in mind that both 'sdemon' and the application server are deprecated
at 10.2, so this is a short-term fix.

- V
0 Kudos
JoseSanchez
Currently I can run:

C:\>sdemon -o info -I users -s <server name> -i <service number>
ArcSDE Instance 5192 Registered Server Tasks on s0140404 at Mon Mar 10 13:12:06
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
S-ID User Host:OS Started

But using the  Geodatabase Administration dialog box  with a regular user that is schema owner but not SDE owner I can not see the "Connections" tab.
0 Kudos