Registering an app on ArcGIS online

03-05-2014 11:12 AM
AdamMcKay1
New Contributor
Hi there, I am having some trouble registering an app on ArcGIS online. 

I have been able to publish the map without any trouble but I a ge tstuck o nthe registration.

What is my App Type and Redirect URI.  How do I know which port to use/which ports are available?

Any guidance would be great.

Thanks,

Adam
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to register your application on ArcGIS Marketplace? You only need to register your application if you want to list it in the Marketplace. Otherwise, just ignore it. Access to your application is managed by how you share it (everyone, with your organization, or with specific groups).

If you are trying to create an application, for example, to sell it on the ArcGIS platform through the Marketplace, then you need to know about the specifics of registering it, and a redirect URI is needed.

Have you ever visited a website that allows you to login with your facebook account, for example, to add a comment? When you sign in with your facebook username, you are granting the application (web, mobile) access to your facebook information. So instead of creating a specific sign in for the application, you can use your facebook information.

The same workflow exists for applications you create and want to list on the Marketplace. For example, say you've written an application that displays web maps (like the Esri mobile apps). In order for your application to display a user's web map, that user would need to sign in to the ArcGIS Online platform. By signing in, the user is granting your application access to his information, in this case his web maps. Then your application can display them.

The redirect URI is kind of the channel through which ArcGIS Online passes information back to your application and grants access to the user's information. For example, your application needs to know if the user was able to successfully sign in to ArcGIS Online. And if they successfully do so, ArcGIS Online gives your app a token, or a key to unlock the user's information. Your app uses this token, for example, to access the user's web maps.

Here is a technical description of the redirect URI and it's relationship to how a user authenticates with the ArcGIS Online Platform.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgis-rest-api/index.html#/Authentication/02r30000009z000000/

To register your application in the Marketplace, you also have to become a Marketplace provider

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/marketplace/provider/become-a-provider.htm

If you want another analogy, here's a link to a blog that I found that describes this "for a ninth grader." In this case, the user is Tom, Dr Michael is your app, and the Healthy Heart Institute is ArcGIS Online. Good stuff!

http://architecture-soa-bpm-eai.blogspot.com/2012/08/oauth-20-for-my-ninth-grader.html

thanks,

Mike
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

Mike (and others), this is a very helpful explanation. Could you expand a bit on how I can leverage ArcGIS Online Authentication in the case where: I have a "custom" javascript application made via the web app builder and want to host it on my own web server, yet grant access through the ArcGIS Online Platform. Ideal workflow: User logs into my organizational account --> finds the app item in a group he has access to --> gets redirected to the URL on my own web server --> does NOT need to sign in again to ArcGIS Online. Thank you!! 

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

If I understand your question correctly, it should just work...

• You have created an application with web app builder that you are hosting on your own web server.
  • The application is not public, but shared to a group within your organization.
  • A member of your organization signs in, goes to the group (they are a member of), finds the app and runs it.

The above workflow should just work.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
shafitrumboo
New Contributor III

If anybody have the URL of the registered application can they open it directly by hitting the URL? I want to avoid that and want users should access the application after logging in arcgis online or portal.

And also please Second login prompts while authenticating arcgis online with oAuth

Thanks

Shafi

0 Kudos
EmilyLee
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your explanation to Adam. It helps many other people like me in the GIS community as well.  Just to confirm, if I just want others to find my webapp. I only need to share it to everyone, right?  I don't need to register the app in order for others to discover it, right?  I only need to register the app if I want to sell the app in the ArcGIS Marketplace?

Thank you!

Emily

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Emily Lee​ Yes, that is correct.

Mike

0 Kudos
AdamMcKay1
New Contributor
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info.  I was able to publish the application through the Web-Map interface.  The distinction you made about publishing to the marketplace helped clear things up.

Best,

Adam
0 Kudos