"The Spatial index grid size is invalid"

Jump to solution
02-26-2014 10:56 AM
MatthewReynolds
New Contributor
I've been getting an error message when working over large areas and needed to know the best way to resolve the issue.  After selecting my geometric network features and selecting the icon to create a new schematic, after some time of generating, i'm getting an error message saying the grid index is invalid. I'm using the wgs84 projection thinking this would be sufficient.... I don't have any experience setting a new Spatial Index Grid that will work with Schematics.  Any tips on this would be very helpful.

error message: "Error during schematic diagram generation. The spatial index grid size is invalid."

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
Spatial index can be tricky with schematics.  The schematic feature classes start by using the same spatial index as the source geographic feature classes.  That index, or grid size, is based on the longest linear feature.  Now in schematics, if the configuration reduces some nodes, creates a super span, you have edges that are much longer than what the gis feature class holds and then you can run into this error.  To fix it, you need to expose the schematic feature classes (right-click the schematic dataset and choose the Show/Hide Schematic Classes option), then go to the linear schematic classes and using the properties page delete the spatial index.  This will cause the system to rebuild it and you should be good at that point.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthewReynolds
New Contributor
One more note: . . . . it appears that when the schematic uses a Schematic Diagram Template with "Net_Junctions" included the spatial Index error does'nt come up.
0 Kudos
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
Spatial index can be tricky with schematics.  The schematic feature classes start by using the same spatial index as the source geographic feature classes.  That index, or grid size, is based on the longest linear feature.  Now in schematics, if the configuration reduces some nodes, creates a super span, you have edges that are much longer than what the gis feature class holds and then you can run into this error.  To fix it, you need to expose the schematic feature classes (right-click the schematic dataset and choose the Show/Hide Schematic Classes option), then go to the linear schematic classes and using the properties page delete the spatial index.  This will cause the system to rebuild it and you should be good at that point.
0 Kudos