new user help

02-26-2014 01:43 AM
jackwalker
New Contributor II
Hi everyone , i am a reatively new user to ARC Gis. i was looking for some help to find some information on something that i would like to do.

At the moment i have a map that has several different shape files on it such as roads , power cables , houses, railway lines. i am trying to find spaces on my map that are outwith a given distances to these few features. So ideally i would like a new shape file that has points that 1000 m away from these features.

As i am a newbie i m not sure what the correct terminology would be for this process. Any direction on wheather this is possible and where i might find some lerning resource on this would be great

Thanks very much

Jack
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Jack,

Use the buffer tool with all your existing features and as distance choose 1000m. This will create a buffer polygon around your features.

Once you buffered all layers, the space on your map that is not occupied by a buffer polygon is what you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

Tim
0 Kudos
jackwalker
New Contributor II
Hi Tim ,

thanks for your help , i was looking into the buffer tool

as i have several layer , will i have to go through each layer and apply the buffer and see whats left afterwards at the end of the process.

Thanks again

Jack
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Jack,

You can right-click the buffer tool in your toolbox and choose "batch" to apply the same buffer too all your layers.

Tim
0 Kudos