How to Create a New Feature Service

02-24-2014 03:11 PM
StephanieKiefer
New Contributor
I am a high school teacher and am trying to use ArcGIS Online to map sites where my students assess stream water quality on a creek near our school.  I have experience with ArcGIS Desktop (being a former GIS Analyst), but have very limited experience with ArcGIS Online. 

Is there a way to create a new point feature service with a custom attribute table using ArcGIS Online?  If not, and I need ArcGIS Desktop to do this, are there any special offers for public school educators (and who would I contact)?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JimWright
New Contributor
I am a high school teacher and am trying to use ArcGIS Online to map sites where my students assess stream water quality on a creek near our school.  I have experience with ArcGIS Desktop (being a former GIS Analyst), but have very limited experience with ArcGIS Online. 

Is there a way to create a new point feature service with a custom attribute table using ArcGIS Online?  If not, and I need ArcGIS Desktop to do this, are there any special offers for public school educators (and who would I contact)?

First question is do you have a subscription account for AGOL? If so you can do it using the ArcGIS for Developer website here https://developers.arcgis.com/en/

Log in and go to the hosted data page then the steps to create your own custom feature service are very easy to follow.

Jim
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
If you want your own symbology and if you have an ArcGIS organizational account/developer account, you can do the following in ArcGIS Desktop.

Open your mxd with the shapefile you want to upload. Symbolize the shapefile like you want it to look once uploaded.
After that do the following.

Click on "File" -> "Sign in..." and sign into your organizational account.
Click on "File" -> "Share As" -> "Share as Service" -> "Publish a service"

Choose My Hosted Services (My Account) and as Service name use for example Auto_Data

In the Capabilities tab uncheck Tiled Mapping and check Feature Access.

In the Item Description tab fill in the required fields.

Once you are done with that, click on Publish. This will upload your shapefile as a feature service. Now in your content you can create a map from that.
0 Kudos
StephanieKiefer
New Contributor
I only have a public account.  I have a demo version of ArcGIS Desktop and was able to create some shapefiles to import into arcGIS Online.  However, once the desktop demo runs out, will I have any tools for creating new feature services?
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Stephanie,

you can always add data via a delimited text file (.txt) or comma-separated values text file (.csv) as outlined here.

You don't need ArcGIS Desktop for that and you can do it with the free ArcGIS Online account.

Hope this helps!

Tim
0 Kudos
StephanieKiefer
New Contributor
Excellent! Thanks for the tip.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
No problem, let me know if you need anything else and don't forget to mark the post that answered your question by clicking the grey checkmark to the right of it 😉
0 Kudos