How do I adjust values in ArcGIS online? HELP!!!

02-19-2014 12:03 PM
JoeWalker
New Contributor II
I have added a new map to my ArcGIS online account. It will not let me adjust the values in the change symbols section. Does anyone know how to do that? I just need two sets of values, one below and above zero but none of the fixed options lets me do that.

Or is there a way to upload the EXACT map that I made on my desktop to reflect the values I chose? When I compress into a zip and reload onto online it doesn't keep the colors or values. Can I just upload the map I made on my desktop onto online?

Any help would be amazing as my boss is riding my ass. I haven't been this frustrated since I began working with ArcGIS. Thank you everyone! Have a nice day!

If you have any other questions just let me know.
Tags (2)
7 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Joe,

If you have an organizational account, you can upload your layer as a feature service, which maintains your symbology. You need to do the following.

Open the MXD in which you have prepared your layer with your symbology. Make sure only that layer is in your MXD.

1) Click on File -> Sign In... (Here you sign into your organizational account)
2) Click on File -> Share As -> Service -> Publish a service
3) As connection choose My Hosted Services (My Account) and as service name use what you want the layer to be called.
4) Under the capabilities tab uncheck "Tiled Mapping" and check "Feature Access"
5) Fill out the Item Description tab
6) Under sharing you can check who is able to see it once published
7) Click Publish in the upper right corner and it will soon show up in your "My Content" on ArcGIS Online

Hope this helps!

Tim
0 Kudos
JoeWalker
New Contributor II
Thanks for replying Tim!

Not sure if my desktop version is old but I can't locate the "Share As -> Service -> Publish a service" on my desktop or online. To tell you the truth I'm not exactly what a MXD is. Any other tips or a explanation for simpletons would be great! Thanks Tim!
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Hey Joe,

an MXD is the map document that you would create using ArcGIS for Desktop. If you double click your ArcMap shortcut on your desktop, that is what is being opened. When it loads it should tell you what ArcMap version you are using. Once it has been loaded, that's when you do the steps I have outlined.

Tim
0 Kudos
JoeWalker
New Contributor II
Hey Tim,

Thanks again. I'm using the 2010 version. when I open my desktop there isn't a Share As -> Service -> Publish a service. I logged into my online account just fine. I'm I not looking in the right place? It's under the 'file' tab? Sorry if I'm a pain in the butt.
0 Kudos
deleted-user-eecV1RPyUfl1
Occasional Contributor
Hey Tim,

Thanks again. I'm using the 2010 version. when I open my desktop there isn't a Share As -> Service -> Publish a service. I logged into my online account just fine. I'm I not looking in the right place? It's under the 'file' tab? Sorry if I'm a pain in the butt.

In version 10.1+ you would find the "Share As" selection under the File pull-down menu.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
I don't know how ArcGIS Online was handled in ArcGIS Desktop versions before 10.1
0 Kudos
deleted-user-eecV1RPyUfl1
Occasional Contributor
Ya, neither do I.
0 Kudos