Creating a Polygon based on population alone

02-18-2014 11:11 AM
NickSittinger
New Contributor
Is there a tool or function that allows me to create a polygon, based on population alone surrounding a specific point.

For example, taking a specific address and then creating a polygon based on surrounding population of 30k.  The output I'm looking for is a polygon generated that shows exactly how large the area surrounding the given address is that includes exactly (or at least very close) to 30k people.

Any information will help, even if it's an outside tool our source.

thank you
0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Nick,

If the address is all you have, it will not be possible.

If your address location has information on population density (X pop/km2), then you could create a buffer around the point:
radius = SQRT((30.000 pop / (X pop/km2)) / PI) * 1000 (in meters)

If you have building blocks (or center points of building blocks), you could use some code to sort the distance of each block (only use block that are within a certain distance) to the address location and sum the population per building block until you reach the 30K. Merge the polygons together or create a convex hull to obtain the polygon you're looking for.

... or maybe Grouping Analysis works for you.

Kind regards,

Xander
0 Kudos
DXXX
by
New Contributor III
Is there a tool or function that allows me to create a polygon, based on population alone surrounding a specific point.

For example, taking a specific address and then creating a polygon based on surrounding population of 30k.  The output I'm looking for is a polygon generated that shows exactly how large the area surrounding the given address is that includes exactly (or at least very close) to 30k people.

Any information will help, even if it's an outside tool our source.

thank you

Use the point density tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E43UfVxj-W0
0 Kudos