conversion from .xyz to .bag format?

02-16-2014 08:12 PM
prernaramesh
New Contributor
Hi,
I have huge amount of multibeam bathymetry data in the form of .xyz files. I have been trying to use the arcgis for maritime bathymetry extension for generating a mosaic of gridded bathymetry but I cannot figure out how to convert .xyz files to .bag.
Can anyone help??
Thanks in anticipation.
-Prerna
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SabeshanSrinivasan
New Contributor
Hello Prerna,

The ArcGIS for Maritime: Bathymetry solution does not currently support creating a BAG file. If you plan on registering your .xyz datasets with the BIS, you may convert them to GeoTIFF and register with the BIS. Starting with version 10.2 QFE1, the BIS workspace supports all raster formats supported by the ArcGIS platform. You may convert your datasets to GeoTIFF using the following ArcGIS GP tools:

a) if your XYZ datasets contain regularly-spaced points stored in "X Y Z" format with one point per line:
     1) Run ASCII 3D to Feature Class (3D Analyst toolbox) on the .xyz dataset
     2) Run Feature to Raster (Conversion toolbox) on the feature class generated in the previous step to create a GeoTIFF raster

b) if your XYZ datasets are stored as a raster representation (ArcGIS "ncols" and "nrows" format):
     1) Run ASCII to Raster (Conversion toolbox) on the .xyz dataset to generate the GeoTIFF raster

After generating the GeoTIFF rasters as indicated above, you can register them with your BIS workspace and start using them. Alternatively, you may create BAG files from your data in an application such as QPS's Fledermaus, if you have access to the software.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sabeshan Srinivasan
0 Kudos
prernaramesh
New Contributor
Hi Sabeshan,

Thanks a lot for your timely response. But i guess i am still missing out something here. You see, i tried converting my .xyz files to .tiff format and loaded them on the BIS database that i have generated. However, that did not allow me to do any processing on it. Also, pl do have a look at the snapshot i have att. here. When i click on add bathymetry> add datasets to list, only .bag files are acceptable. I am using 10.1 of this extension. I do not have access to Fledermaus as well. Pl provide some info on how to:

1. convert .xyz to .bag (is there is any freeware software for this this?) OR
2. convert .tiff to .bag

Thanks a lot once again. Awaiting your response.

Prerna 🙂
0 Kudos
SabeshanSrinivasan
New Contributor
Hello Prerna,

Unfortunately, the capability to support raster formats other than BAG in the BIS was released at version 10.2 QFE1 so it is correct that you cannot access this feature in your installation, which is at 10.1.

There appears to be a freeware option to do the conversion to BAG, which I haven't personally tried out but looks promising. It is described here:
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_translate.html

Cheers,
Sabeshan
0 Kudos
prernaramesh
New Contributor
Hi Sabeshan,

Thanks for the link...but unfortunately I am terrible at coding. Guess I will have to manage without the bathymetry extension.
I appreciate your support.

Regards,
-Prerna
0 Kudos
prernaramesh
New Contributor
Hi Sabeshan,

How are you doing? Just wanted to jump back on my question....i have acquired 10.2 bathymetry extension, but even now it is taking only .bag files as input. I have seen the arcgis help:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/#/Adding_bathymetry_data_to_the_BIS_geodatabase/020300...

According to this, 10.2 extension for bathymetry should allow putting other raster formats also as inputs.

Can you help me understand this descrepancy?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Prerna
0 Kudos
SabeshanSrinivasan
New Contributor
Hi Prerna,

We added support for raster formats other than BAG at 10.2 Patch 1, which was released right after 10.2. If you download and install Patch 1, you should have access to this functionality. Please install Patch 1, or better yet, Patch 2, which is the latest update to the 10.2 release. You may download it from here: http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/196/metaid/2028

Cheers,
Sabeshan
0 Kudos