How to get link directions in ArcMap

02-16-2014 10:58 AM
AkbarBakhshi1
New Contributor
I have been working with a network in Arcmap. in my network there is no column or attribute for the links to show me if it is northbound, southbound and so on. Is there a way to identify the direction of the network links and have them as an attribute of each link!?

Thank you
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

Right click the layer and go to symbology and then go to edit symbol. At the top, under properties, from the type dropbox, select cartographic line symbol.
select the line in layers window on the left and on the right select "Arrow at end" what ever suits you.

regards,
0 Kudos
AkbarBakhshi1
New Contributor
Hi,

Right click the layer and go to symbology and then go to edit symbol. At the top, under properties, from the type dropbox, select cartographic line symbol.
select the line in layers window on the left and on the right select "Arrow at end" what ever suits you.

regards,

Thank you for your response. but, it seems that, If I am doing it right, this does not give me the direction as an attribute.It just changes the lines to arrows! I know the direction of the lines, but I need it to be added as a column to the attributes of the links. Since there are so many links, it is not feasible to do that manually.

thanks again
0 Kudos
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
Oki. Then you must use the azimuth object.

Add new variable (angle_from_y) of cost type to your network dataset, and in evaluators select script evaluation. and write value = edge.fromazimuth in the from-to case and =edge.toazimuth in the to-from evaluator.

build you network and then when you identify the line, you will see the azimuth values. from these azimuth values, you can tell the direction of the digitization.
0 Kudos
AkbarBakhshi1
New Contributor
Oki. Then you must use the azimuth object.

Add new variable (angle_from_y) of cost type to your network dataset, and in evaluators select script evaluation. and write value = edge.fromazimuth in the from-to case and =edge.toazimuth in the to-from evaluator.

build you network and then when you identify the line, you will see the azimuth values. from these azimuth values, you can tell the direction of the digitization.

Thank you for your help..
0 Kudos