10.2.1 Architecture Question

Jump to solution
02-14-2014 07:05 AM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
Currently, I have one server machine. On this machine runs ArcGIS for Server (Advanced), ArcSDE, and SQL Server Express 2008 R2.

I am moving to a new architecture that will be 3 server machines:

- An Application Server

- A Database Server

The Application Server will have ArcGIS Manager (for running/managing the Map Services), and ArcGIS Viewer for Flex.

The Database Server will have SQL Server 2008 R2 (Full Version) and ArcSDE

1) Will I need to load ArcSDE on the Application Server?

2) Will I need a second ArcGIS for Server License?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
I want to use Versioning, Replicas, Post-Reconcile, and Archiving; would I need to install ArcSDE to be able to use these capabilities?

No

Can I use these capabilities without ArcSDE?

And no, so no to both questions.

This may seem utterly contradictory and confusing, but for this, I recommend you to read the following threads completely:

Why would I install ArcSDE with 10.1?

"The ESRI Geodatabase Framework" PDF

and for the latter thread, especially don't forget to read the supplement depicting some important changes taking place in the "ESRI Geodatabase Framework" right now:

Supplement reflecting deprecation plans for ArcGIS 10.2

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeoDonahue
Tim,

I'm going to say no to both, as I understand your setup.  Where is the third server? 

You don't need the ArcSDE service at 10.2 unless you really have a need for application server connections, but you didn't mention your ESRI version number, so I'm not sure this advice applies to you.
0 Kudos
TimHayes
Sorry about that, the 3rd Server would be a Test Server. We are using 10.2.1.

The architecture is this:

- Application Server will have ArcGIS for Server, ArcGIS Viewer for Flex.

- Production Server will be where we store our Geodatabases in SQL Server 2008 R2. Our Geodatabases will be accessed by ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced Users and our Map Services in our Flex Viewer.

- Test Server will be used to test applications, patches, and upgrades BEFORE being served out live to our customers. SQL Server 2008 R2 will be installed on this server.

I assume I will need to load ArcSDE on the Production Server?

It sounds like for the Test Server I would need to set up a completely separate environment that can be used for testing purposes so that if something does not work it will not impact what is on the Application and Production Servers?
0 Kudos
LeoDonahue
Sorry about that, the 3rd Server would be a Test Server. We are using 10.2.1.

The architecture is this:

- Application Server will have ArcGIS for Server, ArcGIS Viewer for Flex.

- Production Server will be where we store our Geodatabases in SQL Server 2008 R2. Our Geodatabases will be accessed by ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced Users and our Map Services in our Flex Viewer.

- Test Server will be used to test applications, patches, and upgrades BEFORE being served out live to our customers. SQL Server 2008 R2 will be installed on this server.

I assume I will need to load ArcSDE on the Production Server?

Not necessary at 10.2.1
ArcCatalog at 10.2.1 has scripts to create an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server without needing to install SDE.  there is a sticky in the SDE user forum about this topic.

It sounds like for the Test Server I would need to set up a completely separate environment that can be used for testing purposes so that if something does not work it will not impact what is on the Application and Production Servers?

It sounds like you will need two licenses of ArcGIS Server, one for prod and one for test environments.
0 Kudos
TimHayes
I want to use Versioning, Replicas, Post-Reconcile, and Archiving; would I need to install ArcSDE to be able to use these capabilities?

OR

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

No

And no, so no to both questions.

This may seem utterly contradictory and confusing, but for this, I recommend you to read the following threads completely:

Why would I install ArcSDE with 10.1?

"The ESRI Geodatabase Framework" PDF

and for the latter thread, especially don't forget to read the supplement depicting some important changes taking place in the "ESRI Geodatabase Framework" right now:

Supplement reflecting deprecation plans for ArcGIS 10.2
0 Kudos