AnsweredAssumed Answered

Python Tool Parameter Input

Question asked by GEOlson86 on Feb 13, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 by GEOlson86
I'm having trouble finding help for getting fields to be input parameters from specified layers.  When the script is opened I'd like the user to be able to select a layer to use and then be able to choose a field from that layer's attribute table.  Does that have to be done in the validation section?  The way this will work is layer one will be a polygon field and a field needs to be specified that will be copied to the receiving field of layer two, which would be a feature within the polygon area of layer one.  I've got a working script, but I don't want the layers and fields to have to be hard coded.

My script starts with this:
import arcpy, os, time from datetime import datetime from datetime import timedelta  #set map doc and the layer to be used LayerOne = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0) FieldTransfer = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1) LayerTwo = acrpy.GetParameterAsText(2) FieldRecieve = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(3)  mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("Current") mapLyr1 = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "%s") %LayerOne [0] mapLyr2 = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "%s") %LayerTwo [0]

Outcomes