Unhappy Data extraction from .adf file

02-10-2014 07:48 PM
SourangsuChowdhury
New Contributor
Hello,
I have got a set of data for global PM2.5 conc., but the data is in .adf format, within folders info and 'filename', I am able to open the file in Arc Map, what i need is the original data for each grid point according to which the plot is made,
I tried to export the data to some other format, but none of the formats are providing grided data set.
Please help me out.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor
The GRID format is a collection of files in a directory, not just the single .adf file, so with any tools you use, you want to point them at that directory, not a specific component file within it. If you're in ArcMap and can open the files successfully, you can export them by right clicking on the layer and selecting Data > Export Data. Choose a file format of your choice, such as GeoTIFF for the export.

You can also use third party tools, such as GDAL, to translate the GRID files into another format.

cheers,
Shaun
0 Kudos
SourangsuChowdhury
New Contributor
Yes I did export the data to another format, but couldnt view the gridded dataset, can you help me out with how to convert it to .csv format or something
0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor
Generally, you want to keep raster data in a format appropriate for it, as the representation will increase significantly in size in a textual format like CSV, and its best to perform your analysis or questions directly against the raster dataset. If you know what you're doing and you do want the raw values, there's a few ways to get them. Perhaps the simplest is to save out the data as an ASCII file -- that will give you a plain-text encoding of the data, see this Wikipedia article for a mapping between the cell values and their positions within the output text file.
0 Kudos