Importing e00 files

02-08-2014 01:04 PM
UrennaOnyewuchi
New Contributor
Hi. I am new to ArcGIS. I opened up ArcMap for visualization and to run analysis on a database. One of the contents of my database folder is an .e00 file. That is, an ArcInfo Workstation export interchange file. I'd like to import this file into ArcMap. So, I opened up a Python window and typed in the following commands. It is an example from ArcGIS 10.2.1 Help. I changed my environment settings to the location of the e00 file and used the same location for my output data. When I ran "arcpy.Import_arc(...)", I got the following error.

AttributeError: Object: Tool or environment <Import_arc> not found

Could you please tell me how to fix this? I opened up arc.py and the file has Import_arc. So, I'm not sure why I am getting the error. Thank you!!

# Name: Import_Example.py
# Description: Imports from E00 format to a coverage
# Requirements: ArcInfo Workstation

# Import system modules
import arcpy
from arcpy import env

# Set environment settings
env.workspace = "C:/data"

# Set local variables
featureType = "COVER"
interchangeFile = "citylim.e00"
outDataset = "C:/output/citylimit"

# Execute Import
arcpy.Import_arc(featureType, interchangeFile, outDataset)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KimOllivier
Occasional Contributor III
The name of the tool seems to have changed to
arcpy.ImportFromE00_conversion()

import arcpy

arcpy.env.workspace = "C:/data"
arcpy.ImportFromE00_conversion("citylim.e00", "C:/output", "citylim")
0 Kudos
UrennaOnyewuchi
New Contributor
Thanks a lot Kim. I tried the new command. Now I have this error to deal with. 😞

Runtime error  Traceback (most recent call last):   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>   File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.2\arcpy\arcpy\conversion.py", line 1605, in ImportFromE00     raise e ExecuteError: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid. ERROR 000814: Invalid file type Failed to execute (ImportFromE00).

I'm not sure why it says invalid file type when it is an e00 file.
0 Kudos
KimOllivier
If you run the tool from the toolbox a dialog will allow you to fill in the parameters and validate them before you can press OK.
An invalid parameter suggests you are missing a quote or something in the command.
If it runs successfully, you can copy the command from the results as a Python snippet to be pasted into a script.

You should be able to read the E00 file in a text editor. It will look strange, but is a text file.
The format allowed for splitting the file so you could have E00, E01, E02.... files. (one on each 1.44MB floppy disk)
Are you sure you have all the files? It should have and EOF at the end.

E00 files have been obsolete since 1999, so it could be a third party product creating an invalid file.
If it is small you could attach it for me to look at.

The name has changed because ARC/INFO is no longer installed with ArcGIS at version 10 for the original tool to use.
0 Kudos
UrennaOnyewuchi
New Contributor
Sure Kim.
Thanks again!! I tried uploading the file but got an error. Here is the file link location. Looking forward to hearing from you!!

http://www.ce.utexas.edu/prof/maidment/giswr98/riskmap/riskmap.zip
0 Kudos
KimOllivier
Your data is fine. It all opens for me with ArcGIS 10.2 without conversion.

I have found to my surprise that ArcMap can now read E00 files natively without translation. The 'coverages' are represented as a dataset containing simple point lines and polygons. Just use the AddData button. Similarly the tables in the Access database will load as tables but without any geometry.

Not all the geometry layers have a projection defined but they all overlay anyway because they are in the same coordinate system, including the TIF image. You could export the layers to a current format eg shape file or featureclass in a new geodatabase and define the projection.

To make the SOURCEAREA fill you need to run FeatureToPolygon Tool to rebuild polygons from the arc layer.

The WELLS point layer has a key LOC_ID which can be used to join the access tables for labelling, symbolising and analysis.
0 Kudos
UrennaOnyewuchi
New Contributor
Oh my gosh Kim. It worked!! Thank you so much.

I went to Geoprocessing -> Toolbox -> To Coverage -> Import from E00

You are amazing!
0 Kudos