Visual Studio Express vs Aptana Studio 3

02-05-2014 04:20 AM
WalterDziuba
Occasional Contributor
Our organization will eventually deploy online web editing tools and applications. So we're just
gearing up to learn, test and hopefully deploy some of these capabilities
using ArcGIS API for Javascript.

After some initial reading, it's recommended to either use the Aptana Studio 3 or Microsoft's Visual Studio Express.

Can someone provide a recommendation on which development platform to use?

Thx...Walter
0 Kudos
5 Replies
GISDev1
Occasional Contributor III
You'll have people give recs. for both. It's like asking if you should buy a Ford or a Chevy. It also depends if you've done any past development in .Net, since that would probably make you more familiar with Visual Studio (VS).

I've used both (Aptana and VS) in the past, and I prefer Visual Studio since I've also use it for ArcObjects .Net programming as well.
0 Kudos
WalterDziuba
Occasional Contributor
GISDev1,

I've little .net programming experience, so I'll probably go with the Aptana product.

Thanks for your return comments.

Walter
0 Kudos
JeffJacobson
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor
I was in this situation many months ago; nobody could tell me how to get intellisense in js functions in aptana. so i looked around and saw this link:  last reply in this thread: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13204428/visual-studio-2012-javascript-intellisense-not-working.

After that i had uninstalled aptana because we had a paid visual studio license.

the last but one reply in the above link enables the users to refresh the references. after we have been able to use js documentation.

if the above suggstion does not work for visual studio express, then i have no suggestions to help.

regards,
ravi.
0 Kudos
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor
there is one more link that explains these concepts in detail;  i do not know whether they apply to VS express.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2012/03/15/vs11-beta-javascript-feature-comparison-with-vs201...

regards
ravi.
0 Kudos