Generating a Raster Dataset with a Cell Size to match existing Raster:

02-05-2014 03:23 AM
MarkEnglish
New Contributor II
Hello:  I requested LiDAR of a county and recieved two different data formats.  One being an img, and the other las files.  In working with the las files, I converted them to a las dataset, but am having a difficult time converting that las dataset to a raster that matches the existing DEM (merged imgs).  I'm using the 'LAS Dataset to Raster' tool, and discovered two areas where there is an option to adjust the output cell size.  One at the sampling type = Cell Size, and sampling value = 5 (meters).  The other setting is found in the environment tab under 'Raster Analysis' where there is an option to select the raster in which you want to match the resolution.  I can't get this to work.  Am I missing something?  Thanks in advance for any help.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
I am pretty confident since you mentioned the word 'country' that the raster was created piecemeal rather than in one step.  Since you can determine the cell size of the img, I would recommend creating an LAS Dataset of only a few of the las files or limiting the las dataset with boundary.  Create the pieces of the raster and then you can consider creating the raster with the mosaic tool or perhaps within a mosaic dataset for speed.  Just out of curiosity how large is the raster you have in size and the cell size?

Per the help,
including a study area boundary as a clip constraint in the definition of the input LAS dataset is highly recommended. One reason is to prevent interpolation from occurring outside the real data extent of the survey. Secondly, there can be a severe performance penalty when using natural neighbor options if the data area is not properly defined.
0 Kudos