HELP! - I need a shapefile for AFRICA (including South Sudan)

02-04-2014 11:54 AM
JethroArenz
New Contributor
Hi there,

I have been searching all over the web for a Shapefile of Africa, including South Sudan. I was hoping that you can help me.

Many Thanks

Jethro
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
RaymondHuang
Occasional Contributor
You can give Global Administrative Boundaries a try here: http://www.gadm.org/country
I remember seeing South Africa and South Sudan on their shapefile download list.

Cheers.
0 Kudos
JethroArenz
New Contributor
Hi Raymond,

I thank you for your reply.

Yes, this is a very useful site. 'But I am looking for the Shapefile for AFRICA (the continent). I have found a few sites that offer the shapefiles for the country, 'but I could not find a website that offers Africa as a continent. I have found the file on ArcGIS website, but it's an old map, as it does not include South Sudan. (A country that gained independence recently).

Thanks

Jethro
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
JethroArenz
New Contributor
Hi Joe,

I've looked at the resource you provided, but I did not understand what I need to do to get the Shapefile.

J
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Jethro:

Do you have access to ArcMap? 

That website allows you to download a Layer Package of polygon data.  You can open/Add the Layer Package in ArcMap and then export all or some of the data out as a shapefile if you desire.  If you don't have access to ArcMap, then this is likely not the resource for you.
0 Kudos
JethroArenz
New Contributor
Hi Joe,

I will try this and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for everything

Jethro
0 Kudos
JethroArenz
New Contributor
Hi Joe,

I am still having "NO JOY"

I do not have access to the ARCMAP software. I believe this is what you are talking about. I have an trial account on the ARCGIS website and I have been trying to create a Africa map on that website.

but I'm struggling tremendously. I am at my wits end.

J
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Jethro:

Without ArcMap, try this�?�

Download and install ArcGIS Explorer for Desktop (AGX)
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/explorer/download

Bring the World Continents layer package into AGX

The World Continents LPK will appear in the table-of-contents. Click on the polygon layer within the LPK; click on the �??Tools�?� tab on the AGX ribbon; choose the �??Spatial Query�?� button.

Use one of the tools in the Spatial Query window, like �??Draw an Area on the Map�?�, to pick the countries you desire.  At the �??Where�?� drop-down, choose �??Input shape intersects features�?�.  Hit the �??Query�?� button.  Hit the �??Add to Map�?� button.

Your African countries should not appear in the TOC as map notes in a folder.

Right-click on the folder and choose �??Share�?� then choose �??KML�?�.  Export your country polygons as a KMZ file then add that file to your ArcGIS Online account and add the KMZ to your AGOL map.
0 Kudos
JethroArenz
New Contributor
Hi Joe,

I have downloaded the software as instructed.

I then choose a Basemap. (Light Gray Canvas)

I then try to find the World Continents layer package, but I cannot find it. There is only World Labels and World Time Zones. I then searched for the correct layer and downloaded the World Continents Layer.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a3cb207855b348a297ab85261743351d

Once I download this layer (lpk file) as instructed and Add the layer to my Base Map, this is where I get totally lost again.

There is no polygon layer within the LPK on the table contents.

I try to do the Spatial Query without clicking on the Polygon layer, but the Spatial Query window displays a message "0 features match the query"

I think maybe I don't have the correct layer. In that case, could you send the link to the correct file.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jethro
0 Kudos