Hot / Cold Sync of Portal

02-03-2014 05:04 AM
ZachChristoff
New Contributor III
Has anyone setup Portal in a hot / cold environment? I'm looking for any best practices or pro tips on syncing Portals. I'm hoping to perform weekly pushes of data from our hot side to our cold side, but haven't a clue on what is involved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
We are interested in this too. We believe (and hope it works) that copying the Portal directories from the hot to the cold site will work. We have proposed this for a project that is under way already.
0 Kudos
ZachChristoff
New Contributor III
I've been working with ESRI Professional Services on this. They directed me to this article for ArcGIS Server.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//015400000619000000

I'm hoping to get more information out of them on what exactly needs to by copied for Portal.

I'll post any updates.
0 Kudos
ZachChristoff
New Contributor III
The word from ESRI is that you can simply copy the Portal repository (i.e. c:\arcgisportal) to your passive server. Depending on your setup you may also need to update service URLs.
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Thanks for the update.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Besides just a backup, are you looking for High Availability, Disaster Recovery, or both?  The Portal repository folders (e.g., Portal directories) referred to earlier are certainly one part of it, but if you're using a Managed Database for Portal then you'll need to consider that too.  There are so many ways to set up and configure Portal in order to have a primary (active) and secondary (standby) Portal site.  How about these approaches?

High Availability
Store the Portal directories on a Storage Area Network (SAN) or some Direct Attached Storage (DAS) which uses RAID technology, then either cluster two servers together where the SAN or DAS drive is attached to both as a Logical Unit Number (LUN) or don't cluster them and instead map as lettered drive to both servers.  The Portal for ArcGIS software would be installed on both machines.  Since the Portal directories exist on a redundant storage array, your chances of data loss are minimized considerably.  Your single point of failure is the SAN or DAS, but that's unlikely to fail.  If not using clustered servers, then you have a higher likelihood for downtime if one node fails even if using load balancing technology in front of your servers.  As far as the Managed Database goes, it should be backed up nightly using RDBMS tools and those backups should be written somewhere safe like tape storage.  Ideally, you'd be using something like Oracle RAC (although technically not 'supported' by Esri).  This solution can be somewhat expensive. 

Disaster Recovery
Use something like XCOPY or RoboCopy to periodically copy the new and changed files from one server to another in a one-way manner.  If your primary Portal server goes down, you can point everyone to your secondary Portal server in the interim and then RoboCopy or XCOPY back once the primary comes back up.  Another option is to use hardware-based replication from one site to another and to use RDBMS replication from one site to another for the Managed Database.  However, this solution is very expensive. 

The ultimate solution might be a combination of both DR and HA solutions above, with whatever modifications make sense for your organization.  On the other hand, the quick and dirty (and cheaper) solution would be to XCOPY or RoboCopy your new and changed files from the Portal directories on a periodic basis from one server to another.  Depending on your database licensing, you could use a shared database between your hot and cold sites or use RDBMS replication from one to the other in order to maintain two separate, yet in-sync databases. 

The above solutions are meant to serve as high-level guidance.  They are not prescriptions for exactly what you should do, but merely some ideas to consider based on your requirements.
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
We have successfully tested a Hot/Cold sync of Portal using Robocopy scripts. Our testing indicates it is working fine.

We are doing the same with ArcGIS for Server, which requires a bit more encouragement in order to start up successfully (we had to use a Python script to change the any host names in the site folder structure).
0 Kudos
AbhishekTandon
New Contributor
Hi William,

Do you have information on how to setup "Portal for ArcGIS 10.2" in High availability? Initially I am trying to sync at data level (portal contents like groups, etc only).

I tried to copy C:\arcgisportal directories to a common shared storage and configured 2 portal to read data from same location.
I changed dir.data=\\fileserver\shared folder

Both portals are working but data sync in not there. I did this change on both Portal server and also rename local content directories to avoid any issues.

Is there any other change required to read use/share content directories? As you have done it earlier, please share some inputs.

Regards,
Abhishek Tandon
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
Hi William,

I tried to copy C:\arcgisportal directories to a common shared storage and configured 2 portal to read data from same location.
I changed dir.data=\\fileserver\shared folder

Abhishek, as far as I know this isnt possible right now without engaging Esri (USA) Professional Services.

We have tried as you describe and both Portals will start but they cannot share the same Postgres database.
0 Kudos
ZachChristoff
New Contributor III
We also have Portal running in a active / passive setup. The key for us was making sure we removed all instances of "machine name" from the Portal config. Our setup is also federated, which required a deep tweak (FQN rewrite) within Portal to make it happen. We use RoboCopy to copy deltas from active / passive nightly.

As for Server, we haven't had any luck in getting it to work on our passive side yet. We have ESRI Professional Services looking into a sustainable solution for this.
0 Kudos