data source SQL Server Express databases

01-30-2014 06:22 AM
TonyAlmeida
Occasional Contributor II
I need to update about 25 mxd's layers data source. The layers old data source is an SDE workspace, but now have moved to a SQL Server Express databases. In the help They indicate that i have to a create a spatial database connection to the SQL Server Express database. I am not sure how to create a spatial database connection and update the mxd's layers in python.
I would appreciate any help.

Here are some of the MXD's layers that i need the data source updated on.

Layer IMPACT AREA old location (C:\Users\t**a\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcCatalog\DBO.DSD.VECTOR.sde\dsd."CC\TALMEIDA".DEVELOPEMENT\dsd."CC\TALMEIDA".CURRENT_IMPACT_AREA)

New IMPACT AREA location(C:\Users\t**a\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcCatalog\DSD15_SQLEXPRESS.gds\DSD\DSD.DBO.DEVELOPEMENT\DSD.DBO.CURRENT_IMPACT_AREA

Layer FLOODWAY old location (C:\Users\t**a\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcCatalog\DBO.DSD.VECTOR.sde\dsd."CC\TALMEIDA".FEMA09\dsd."CC\TALMEIDA".FEMA09_FLOODWAY)

New FLOODWAY location (C:\Users\t**a\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcCatalog\DSD15_SQLEXPRESS.gds\DSD\DSD.DBO.FEMA09\DSD.DBO.FEMA09_FLOODWAY)

Layer Zoning old location (C:\Users\t**a\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcCatalog\DBO.DSD.VECTOR.sde\dsd."CC\TALMEIDA".MUNICIPALITY\dsd."CC\TALMEIDA".CURRENT_ZONING)

New Zoning location (C:\Users\t**a\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcCatalog\DSD15_SQLEXPRESS.gds\DSD\DSD.DBO.MUNICIPALITY\DSD.DBO.CURRENT_ZONING)

This is my current code.

import arcpy, os
from arcpy import env
from arcpy import mapping

arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

path = r'C:\GIS\MAPBOOK\Proposed Zoning Book\test'
for fileName in os.listdir(path):
   fullPath = os.path.join(path, fileName)
   if os.path.isfile(fullPath):
      basename, extension = os.path.splitext(fullPath)
      if extension == ".mxd":
         mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(fullPath)
         print fullPath
         print mxd
         for lyr in arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd):
            if lyr.name == "PROPOSED ZONING":
                lyr.replaceDataSource(r"C:\Users\t**a\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcCatalog\DSD15_SQLEXPRESS.gds\DSD\DSD.DBO.MUNICIPALITY", "SDE_WORKSPACE", "DSD.DBO.FUTURE_LAND_USE_ZONING")
            elif lyr.name == "CITY LIMITS":
                lyr.replaceDataSource(r"C:\Users\t**a\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcCatalog\DSD15_SQLEXPRESS.gds\TonyOneWay\TonyOneWay.DBO.Canyon_Features", "SDE_WORKSPACE", "TonyOneWay.DBO.City_Limits")            
         print "Successfully updated data sources"
         mxd.save

It gets stuck on line 21 with this error
C:\GIS\MAPBOOK\Proposed Zoning Book\test\Proposed_ZoningMapBook_Page_10.mxd
<geoprocessing Map object object at 0x02C0F740>

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\GIS\Python Scripts\Change Data Source MXD 2.py", line 21, in <module>
    lyr.replaceDataSource(r"C:\Users\talmeida\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcCatalog\DSD15_SQLEXPRESS.gds\TonyOneWay\TonyOneWay.DBO.Canyon_Features", "SDE_WORKSPACE", "TonyOneWay.DBO.City_Limits")
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\arcpy\arcpy\utils.py", line 181, in fn_
    return fn(*args, **kw)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\arcpy\arcpy\_mapping.py", line 680, in replaceDataSource
    return convertArcObjectToPythonObject(self._arc_object.replaceDataSource(*gp_fixargs((workspace_path, workspace_type, dataset_name, validate), True)))
ValueError: Layer: Unexpected error
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor
You just navigate to "Database Connections" in the ArcCatalog tree and go to Add Database Connection.

Do you have an SDE instance installed on your SQL Server? 
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Enabling_SQL_Server_Express_to_store_geoda...
0 Kudos
TonyAlmeida
my data is going from SDE SQLServer to Desktop(my compputer) SQL Server Express database.
For some reason it's not like my current code.

I really would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
JoshuaChisholm
Occasional Contributor III
For what it's worth, I got a weird "Layer: Unexpected error" when I was trying to do this kind of thing a ways back. It ended up being a bug (bug NIM062937 I think) where you can't have the same feature class set name as an embedded feature class name. For example, that would cause problems if you had a feature class called 'roads' in a feature set also called 'roads'. I think ESRI fixed it but it might be worth looking into.

This posting also may be a good place to start your quest. Good luck!
0 Kudos
TonyAlmeida
I figured out my problem, it was becasuse i was forgetting to the Validate "" at the end of lyr.replaceDataSource.
After adding it my code ran with out problems, but when i opened up my mxd to check to see if the layers data source was redirected i noticed that it wasn't. So i decided to put to make a copy of the mxd after the script runs.
I opened up the new created copy and noticed that the layers that i am trying to redirect have a red ! next them.

So i right click on one and select properties and i noticed this the source tab
Data Type: SDE Feature Class
Feature Class: dsd."CC\TALMEIDA".CURRENT_ZONING
Database: C:\GIS\MAPBOOK\Proposed Zoning Book\test\Database Servers\DSD15_SQLEXPRESS.gds
Feature Dataset: DSD."CC\TALMEIDA".MUNICIPALITY
Feature Type: Simple
Geometry Type: Polygon

I added the same layer from my DSD15_SQLEXPRESS.gds and in the source tab is the following.
Data Type: SDE Feature Class
Database Platform: SQL Server
Server: dsd15_sqlexpress
Connection Properties: dsd15\sqlexpress
Authentication Type: Operating system authentication
Database: DSD
Version: dbo.DEFAULT
Description: Instance default version.
Feature Dataset: DSD.DBO.MUNICIPALITY
Feature Class: DSD.DBO.CURRENT_ZONING
Feature Type: Simple
Geometry Type: Polygon
Coordinates have Z values: No
Coordinates have measures: No

Why does this happen? the only thing i can think of some how i am not providing the correct UNC path.
What would be the correct UNC path?
0 Kudos