Maps don't work on 4g connections

Jump to solution
01-29-2014 05:17 AM
KeithTurner
New Contributor III
Some of our users have been reporting issues with map layers not loading, but only when they're connected via a 4g data connection.  The exact same phone/app works fine when they switch from 4g to wifi.  I've been trying to work with a user, but I'm unable to get any reliable indication of what's going on and I'm unable to reproduce the issue myself (dont have a 4g device).

the last test I did was to generate a brand new arcgis android app from the "ArcGIS Project for Android" wizard.  I added a Mapview to the layout.  In Oncreate, I get a ref to the mapview, add a tiled map service layer (arcgisonline world street map) and set an onstatuschangedlistener.  The listener checks to see if the source is the mapview and the status is initialized.  It then loads five additional tiled map service layers from our ags server and changes the extent.

Sent this apk to the user I'm working with.  This fails to load the street map layer about half the time, and the other layers dont work at all, but everything works great on wifi.  This is using ArcGIS for Android 10.1.1 and he is using Android 4.3.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  any suggestions?

Keith
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KeithTurner
New Contributor III
Figured this one out and it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the arcgis sdk or related code.  When the users switched over to 4g, they were on an ipv6 network.  Our mapping services are behind an amazon ELB which was configured to support ipv6 on the front end in addition to ipv4.  Something to do with the ipv6 portion was failing or there was a compatibility problem.  For now, we've disabled ipv6 on that ELB and everything is working great over ipv4.

Keith

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KeithTurner
New Contributor III
Figured this one out and it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the arcgis sdk or related code.  When the users switched over to 4g, they were on an ipv6 network.  Our mapping services are behind an amazon ELB which was configured to support ipv6 on the front end in addition to ipv4.  Something to do with the ipv6 portion was failing or there was a compatibility problem.  For now, we've disabled ipv6 on that ELB and everything is working great over ipv4.

Keith
0 Kudos