Using feature service for photos. Where to put the URL link to video for some points?

01-29-2014 04:16 AM
AdamOlson
Occasional Contributor
I am using the ESRI storytelling map tour template.

My photos are loaded as attachments through a feature service.  For some map point location I would like to use a URL to a video. 

Since I am not using a field for the photos in a url link but instead using feature attachments.  

Where can I put a the URL to the video?

I am using WOWSLIDER for a video slideshow of photos taken.

Wowslider basically creates an index.html that opens and plays a slideshow. I am wanting to use that url link to play slide show photos of property.  In theory I am thinking this is going to work but has anyone else tried it?

Story book draft
.  I am wanting to replace the property image with a slideshow.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,
Yes you can (see Help>Data - the last section).
To sum-up because by default Feature Service attachments are limited in size, we don't yet support adding videos when the source is a Feature Service.
But through ArcGIS.com viewer you can edit your data to include a video or any other page (open your webmap in edit mode, edit the field pic_url with the URL of your video). Also if your record has an attribute isVideo, turn it to true, if it doesn't, the URL of your page have to include #isVideo.
0 Kudos
AdamOlson
Occasional Contributor
Hi,
Yes you can (see Help>Data - the last section).
To sum-up because by default Feature Service attachments are limited in size, we don't yet support adding videos when the source is a Feature Service.
But through ArcGIS.com viewer you can edit your data to include a video or any other page (open your webmap in edit mode, edit the field pic_url with the URL of your video). Also if your record has an attribute isVideo, turn it to true, if it doesn't, the URL of your page have to include #isVideo.

As you are aware with attachments in a feature service there is no field called pic_url.  Are you suggesting I make fields called Pic_url and isVideo? then put the URL to the video and the isvideo to true?  Then that will use the video instead of the attachments in the feature service?
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Feature Service created from the builder should always have a field named pic_url (alias is 'Picture URL').
If you don't have two fields named pic_url and thumb_url, you won't be able to use video. More details on github here and here.

If you don't want / can't create the Feature Service from the builder, yes you can create those fields yourself, populate them and make sure to have use #isVideo at the end of your video URL.
0 Kudos
AdamOlson
Occasional Contributor
Feature Service created from the builder should always have a field named pic_url (alias is 'Picture URL').
If you don't have two fields named pic_url and thumb_url, you won't be able to use video. More details on github here and here.

If you don't want / can't create the Feature Service from the builder, yes you can create those fields yourself, populate them and make sure to have use #isVideo at the end of your video URL.

I did not use a builder.

I created a feature class and then published a feature service on our server.  It worked fine.  Then I took your advice and added the PIC_URL and IS_VIDEO fields.  For one of my map points I removed the feature class attachments and added a URL  to the PIC_URL field and set the IS_VIDEO to true. I republished the service and now that entire map point is gone from my map.   It does not show up at all now. 

Please advise.
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Using a custom Feature Service is possible but it will require you to read a bit the documentation to make it works. Please take a look at the previous two links I gave you. You need to have two attachments per feature (even for the videos). You need to add pic_url field and also thumb_url.

Alternatively I would recommend that you create a Feature Service from the sample CSV we distribute and start rebuilding your Map Tour from scratch. Add your points with image, then use ArcGIS.com viewer to edit the pic_url when you want a video. if you have an organization, add the CSV as an item and choose to create a service.
0 Kudos
AdamOlson
Occasional Contributor
Using a custom Feature Service is possible but it will require you to read a bit the documentation to make it works. Please take a look at the previous two links I gave you. You need to have two attachments per feature (even for the videos). You need to add pic_url field and also thumb_url.

Alternatively I would recommend that you create a Feature Service from the sample CSV we distribute and start rebuilding your Map Tour from scratch. Add your points with image, then use ArcGIS.com viewer to edit the pic_url when you want a video. if you have an organization, add the CSV as an item and choose to create a service.

Yes, did you click on the link above?  That is working from a feature service with 2 attachments.  That feature service has NO pic_url or thumb_url field and it works fine.

I added the Pic_URL field and IS_video field but now that point for which I inserted the URL above does not even show up.

again, the map is currently using attachments to the feature class points to show the pictures.  It is not using an URL path to the pictures. However I would assume for the video to work we do need an URL path and that is what I did but it removes the map point completely when displayed.

confused.
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
When you add pic_url field, you also need to add a thumb_url field. If you don't have these two fields, the attachments are used. If you have these two fields, they are used. If you add only pic_url it doesn't works.

All of that is documented on the previous link. You can't use video if you don't have these two fields.
0 Kudos
AdamOlson
Occasional Contributor
When you add pic_url field, you also need to add a thumb_url field. If you don't have these two fields, the attachments are used. If you have these two fields, they are used. If you add only pic_url it doesn't works.

All of that is documented on the previous link. You can't use video if you don't have these two fields.

Ok, I added the thumb_url and now the slide show works for the map point I tried it on.  However the photo attachments in the feature service now do not show for the other property map points.

Look at the map.  Real Estate Map Tour
0 Kudos
AdamOlson
Occasional Contributor
Ok, I added the thumb_url and now the slide show works for the map point I tried it on.  However the photo attachments in the feature service now do not show for the other property map points.

Look at the map.  Real Estate Map Tour

When a video is true.   I notice the display area changes to a wide screen 16:9 format area?  What is causing that to happen with a video?

I am using wowslider and the size I selected is not that wide.

How do we retain the ratio display size when videos are displayed?
0 Kudos