Story Map Error - The application is not configured yet

01-28-2014 10:44 AM
SteveCline
Occasional Contributor
I created a detailed story map to use with a lesson on the former Soviet Union.  The map application worked great right up until we used it in class.  I received this error: "Welcome to the Map Tour web application.  The application is not configured yet."

I think I know what I did.  I went into the Web Map in AGOL and changed the basemap.  It appears that I lost all of my pictures on the Web Application and I need to import them again.

If this is not what happened then what did I do?  I would like to avoid this in the future.  I did not realize that the Web Map and the Web Application were linked in that way.

Thanks

Steve
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RaymondHuang
Occasional Contributor
As far as I am aware, the Story Map templates takes in a web map from an account, and it is dependent on the formatting of the web map for it to work. I will suppose not modifying the web map in any way will avoid such problem from arising. If you need to update or edit the web map, try to do it through the Story Map builder mode to avoid corrupting the formatting required.
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

Modifying the basemap should not destroy your Map Tour.
But as Raymond pointed out, we added the ability to change the basemap from the builder to avoid mistake as yes it's possible to destroy a Map Tour if you modify your webmap in a non supported way (make the map tour layer not visible, add/remove fields).

Does your webmap contains a Map Tour layer? is it working fine? (can see data when zooming/panning around, can open the attribute table).
Was your new basemap using a different projection? That is supported but one error has already been reported when switching to a different projection.

Have you tried to create a Map Tour from this web map a second time?
Please share the webmap/app id and I will take a look.
0 Kudos
KevinHighland
Occasional Contributor II
Steve -

Were you using a wireless connection when it failed? I get the same message I'm connected to my City's public wireless network. It doesn't allow connections to our servers (where our basemaps are) for security reasons. Maybe this could be your issue? Changing your basemap should not break the story map.

I hope this helps.
Kevin
0 Kudos
SteveCline
Occasional Contributor
I think the problem was created when I accidentally edited the Web Map Associated with the Story Map.  I recreated the application and was careful not to change the web map and everything worked fine. 

Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos