Starter Javascript webmap that does NOT use ArcGIS.com?

01-28-2014 10:36 AM
AaronKreag
Occasional Contributor
I have a few REST services that I would like to display over an ESRI basemap (imagery, streets and topo) and have a simple legend, search tool and such, nothing too flashy.  Right now I have an html index page in my flex apps that detect a mobile or tablet and send the request off to an app in a mobile folder.  This is currently the local government parcel viewer on github.  It will automatically scale and adjust when being consumed on a variety of mobile and tablet devices.  I like it.  However, every one of these out of the box javascript webmap apps points towards a webmap id that is somehow related to web maps that a person needs to set up, build, host in a public setting on ArcGIS.com.  I can not have this set up on ArcGIS.com.  Anyone point me in a direction??  I am not a developer but have built some web mapping apps and have them running.  Anyone want to help me get over this annoying ArcGIS.com dependency?  Thank you!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
When looking at the examples, you don't want the ones that mention 'web map'.  That is not a generic term, it means something in particular.  A Javascript webmap IS ArcGIS.com.  You'll need to look to some of the other samples to use your own map services that hosted locally.  A web map encapsulates several things, the combination of layers you have, the information tags that come up when you click etc.  You can't simply replace a few lines of code for 'webmap' and replace them with the Javascript 'map' object, which is basically a blank canvas. 

ESRI has a lot of cool web map templates to use, mostly based on ArcGIS.com hosted web maps.  If you don't want use that environment, you'll need to pass over those and look for other examples.
0 Kudos
AaronKreag
Occasional Contributor
I think the biggest issue in all of this is two fold.  1. I have to make these maps and data available on ArcGIS.com as Public (mandatory per all the documentation) and 2. I already have tons of infrastructure, software and data in my shop so I have to add another layer of complexity and management to an already complex puzzle by babysitting ArcGIS.com.  Geez not to mention when they feel like tossing a price tag on it.....

One thing I was thinking about was, using these canned webmaps via ArcGIS.com, and leaving OUT my rest services data.  So I would have an ArcGIS.com webmap built that would have the UI and basemap.  If someone could tell me how to add three dynamic rest service layers in the viewer.json file that would probably be the best of both worlds.

Would that be possible?  To add operational layers to a pre-canned javascript webmap template by modifying the script independent of ArcGIS.com?

Thank you!
0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
If I understand what you're saying, you'd like a basic template, similar to what is available in FLEX that easily configurable, but that isn't based on ArcGIS.com.  There's lots of threads where people are asking for just that, but I don't think there is such a thing, at least nothing very current.  Instead ESRI is pointing us all down the ArcGIS.com path.  If you have no plans to go there (I don't have permission to post our data there myself), then you'll have to focus your attention on the examples that don't mention 'web map'.
0 Kudos
KevinMacLeod1
Occasional Contributor III
Portal.  :cool:
0 Kudos
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor
Yesterday, Esri had a training webinar on Javascript tips, and someone asked about a viewer.  The answer was that they were indeed working on one and that it would be in public beta in March with expected release in July.  I'm assuming, based upon the very little information revealed, that it would be a counterpart to the Flex and Silverlight viewers.  I was shocked but happy to hear this, and I have to imagine they finally had to do something to address all the demand.
0 Kudos