Cannot start the PublishingTools service

Jump to solution
01-24-2014 08:19 AM
BenjaminBauman
Occasional Contributor
I cannot publish a map service because the PublishingTools service is stopped. However, when I try to start the service, it hangs, with the message "System/PublishingTools service is starting..." until I get a "Service startup timeout" message. Any suggestions? Someone posted a similar issue on gis.stackexchange here, but the question was left unanswered. The Server Manager is on Windows 7, the browser is IE, and Windows Firewall is off.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenjaminBauman
Occasional Contributor
Issue has been resolved with the help of an ESRI rep. Turns out the person who installed ArcGIS for Server placed it in a drive which we didn't have complete access to. Moving everything to the C: drive resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BenjaminBauman
Occasional Contributor
Just found out that it may have to do with the site's security settings. However, after setting security to Public, I now get the error message "Server machine '#######' is currently being configured by other administrative operators. Please try again later...", despite having logged off and rebooted. There appears to be a similar issue on this page with one potential solution which I will now try to test.
0 Kudos
BenjaminBauman
Occasional Contributor
Issue has been resolved with the help of an ESRI rep. Turns out the person who installed ArcGIS for Server placed it in a drive which we didn't have complete access to. Moving everything to the C: drive resolved the issue.
0 Kudos