Contour water quality parameter around headland

Jump to solution
01-22-2014 11:05 AM
DouglasHersh
New Contributor II
I am new to these forums. Pretty new to ArcGIS too. I apologize in advance if the following question has already been answered.

I need to produce contour maps of sparsely sampled, water quality data (e.g. chlorophyll, bacteria) for an area with a complex coastline that includes islands and headlands. It is important that measured values on one side of a peninsula do not "leak" under the land to the water on the other side. On the other hand, I do want measurements on one side of a headland to influence points nearby (as the fish swims) on the other side of the headland. I don't expect a simple canned solution, but I imagine someone can describe the workflow that would get me there or point me to sources describing how this might be done. I would prefer not to use arbitrary, hand-drawn, line-of-sight barriers as that would be susceptible to artistic license.

Thank you for your help.

- Doug
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
If you have the ArcGIS GeoStatistical Analyst extension, have a look at the diffusion and kernel interpolation with barriers tools.

Otherwise, perhaps try the spline interpolation with barriers tool (requires ArcGIS Spatial Analyst extension).

Once you have interpolated a surface (raster), you can create contours with the contour tool.

Edit: Do you have coastline data already? What format are your samples in?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
If you have the ArcGIS GeoStatistical Analyst extension, have a look at the diffusion and kernel interpolation with barriers tools.

Otherwise, perhaps try the spline interpolation with barriers tool (requires ArcGIS Spatial Analyst extension).

Once you have interpolated a surface (raster), you can create contours with the contour tool.

Edit: Do you have coastline data already? What format are your samples in?
0 Kudos
DouglasHersh
New Contributor II
Luke,

Thanks for the information. I do have a license for the Geostatistical and Spatial Analyst extensions.

I already have coastline data. My sample locations are in Oracle SDO and my water quality data are in Oracle tables that I can query using query layers. I will follow up with the results of my work.

Doug Hersh
Environment Quality, Water and Wastewater
Massachusetts Water Resource Authority
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Doug

I suggest you look at using KernelInterpolationWithBarriers as it'll also produce an output of prediction standard errors.

Steve
DouglasHersh
New Contributor II
Thank you, Steve.

That's two votes for kernel interpolation with barriers with the additional benefit of prediction standard errors.

- Doug
0 Kudos