0 maps in The Collector

01-22-2014 07:37 AM
ShawnKilgallon
New Contributor
Hi,
I am new to The Collector, but not new to arcOnline.  I downloaded the app for my android phone and logged in with my company account login information.  In arcOnline, I've created about 4 or 5 maps that are not showing up in The Collector.  It is the same account user name and login that I'm using for both creating the maps in ArcOnline and signing into the app.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the app.  I followed all of the directions given in the tutorial:  http://doc.arcgis.com/en/collector/android/create-maps/create-and-share-a-collector-map.htm.  But 0 maps are showing up in the app.  I just can't figure out what is going wrong.  Thank you.

Lauren
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you using a feature service with editing capabilities enabled?

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
ShawnKilgallon
New Contributor
I am using a feature service.  I believe editing capabilities are enabled.  I am able to edit it in arcOnline.  Is there another way for me to verify this?
0 Kudos
ShawnKilgallon
New Contributor
Here is what I just found.  If I simple create a map and add layers, the map does not show up in The Collector App.  But if in My Content, I click on the small downward arrow to the right of the feature service I'd like to see in a map and then click 'Add to new map with full editing control' I am then able to save that new map and then view it in The Collector. 

So, my follow up question would be, how do I enable editing for all the layer I'd like to potentially use in a map so that I could then just add them to an existing map.  With this current method, I can only have one layer per map if the option is to 'Add to new map with full editing control'.  Hmmm...
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
When you create the feature service and go to the item detail page for that service. Click Edit and then scroll down to the bottom of the page where you can configure the editing capabilities. You should just need to check on the Enable Edits and choose one of the editing configurations and hit save. Then you should just click Add to new map and save that map and it should become a collector map.

Russ
0 Kudos
ScottMoyer
Occasional Contributor
I experienced this issue of no maps appearing in Collector. I applied Lauren's solution of adding a shapefile with full editing control and now I'm able to select and open a map in Collector. I'm still at 10.0; is this a likely cause of the issue?
Scott
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Imported shapefiles or csv's will not work. It will need to be an ArcGIS Server feature service or a hosted feature service with editing capabilities.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#/About_hosted_features_and_tiles/010q000...

Once you add those services into the map resave the map and refresh the map gallery in the app.

Russ
0 Kudos
KATIEATKINSON
New Contributor III

I have tried everything I can think of I have the maps able to be editable on the PC but the app is not showing up in Collector and the map that is showing up the layer is greyed out will not turn on.

I have created a working Enterprise Geodatabase and have my working layer in it.

I have tried 2 different apps the first is the ESRI Template for collecting DATA it works great from the PC. When I created one using hosted data it did work in collector however it did not have the drop down functionality that I desired. SO with this app working great from the PC I tried to host an app on our Server. I use another template for this and again it works on the pcs for everyone I sent it to they have been able to make edits; so I know the layer is editable. SO WHY is it still not showing up in Collector? PLEASE HELP!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Only the webmap will show up in Collector app. The Collector app might not be able to access the service if your server is not exposed to the network the device is on.

0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

It sounds like you are expecting an app to be visible in Collector. It does not use apps, it uses maps.

0 Kudos