Running this SDK on a Tablet

01-16-2014 06:32 PM
Labels (1)
KarenRobine
Occasional Contributor II
I'm trying to understand if this SDK is supported on Windows Tablets and Phones at the present time?  Can I put it in Production now, or do I need to wait till a later release in the Summer of 2014?  Sorry, maybe I missed an obvious page describing this but I couldn't find it.
Also, does it work well with disconnected editing now?  On the geodatabase side of things, is a File GDB the way to go for disconnected edits?  And, I'm assuming I might be able to utilize GPS capabilities to upload points to my GDB?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Currently for development Windows tablet and phone applications your options are:
Tablet: ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF
Phone: ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Windows Phone

The WPF SDK can be used to build disconnected editing workflows based on File Geodatabases, but if you editing scenario requires integrating edits back into your enterprise geodatabase it is advisable to wait for the forthcoming ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET which supports development of apps for the Desktop, Store and Phone environments. The .NET SDK includes the new ArcGIS Runtime offline editing and synchronization capabilities.

This new SDK will soon be made available as a beta with the initial full release planned for early summer 2014. Typically beta software does not provide you with a go-live license, therefore you can undertake your development with the beta version but will need to wait until the actual release in order to deploy.

If you've started any development with the existing WPF SDK there are a few tips for migration on this thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/88329-The-history-and-future-of-the-ArcGIS-SDKs-for-.NET.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
KarenRobine
Occasional Contributor II
Thanks Mike. Your posting is extremely helpful.

So if I need to integrate edits into a server-side database, perform disconnected and connected edits, as well as run the application on a Windows Tablet, then, sounds like I HAVE TO USE the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF? But, this doesnt include the ability to write back to the server, or, would I need to build a geoprocessing routine or something (ie., SOE) to get that done?

I also saw that the iOS Runtime handles disconnected edits in Beta at the present time. Do you happen to know if the Android Runtime also handles Disconnected edits? (lets assume Tablet device type doesnt matter)

Do you know when the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET is due out, approximately? And that would be a Beta version, right?

Hi,

Currently for development Windows tablet and phone applications your options are:
Tablet: ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF
Phone: ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Windows Phone

The WPF SDK can be used to build disconnected editing workflows based on File Geodatabases, but if you editing scenario requires integrating edits back into your enterprise geodatabase it is advisable to wait for the forthcoming ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET which supports development of apps for the Desktop, Store and Phone environments. The .NET SDK includes the new ArcGIS Runtime offline editing and synchronization capabilities.

This new SDK will soon be made available as a beta with the initial full release planned for early summer 2014. Typically beta software does not provide you with a go-live license, therefore you can undertake your development with the beta version but will need to wait until the actual release in order to deploy.

If you've started any development with the existing WPF SDK there are a few tips for migration on this thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/88329-The-history-and-future-of-the-ArcGIS-SDKs-for-.NET.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

If you would like to build a .NET app for a Windows tablet AND deploy your app before summer 2014 then you do need to use the existing WPF SDK. The WPF SDK can perform connected edits either directly against an Enterprise Geodatabase or against a FeatureService. Disconnected editing workflows can also be built with the WPF SDK - but they do require you to do some additional checkout/checkin management of the File GDB. Depending on the complexity and volume of edits, you could consider serializing to/from JSON for storage on the device and then submitting the features to the service when connected.

At this point, however, we would not recommend building a complex disconnected editing workflow with the WPF SDK. If your project timeline allows, it would be preferable to wait for the new .NET SDK.

We have been working on new disconnected editing functionality which is currently available in beta for the ArcGIS Runtime SDKs for: iOS; Android; Mac OSX; and Java SE. This same functionality will be available in the new .NET SDK in the forthcoming beta which should be available within the next 2 months.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos