Add web mapping application entry into ArcGIS Online????

01-08-2014 07:20 AM
AdamOlson
Occasional Contributor
I have a question about the ESRI StoryTelling Map Tour Template.

I created it and it is working.  On page 23 it says to add a web mapping application entry into ArcGIS Online.

Please explain how to do this.

Itasca County Real Estate For Sale (draft)
http://207.171.101.207/real_estate_forsale/index.html#
0 Kudos
4 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor
Here's the ArcGIS Online documentation: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#//010q00000076000000

You'll want to look under the "Add apps" section.
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
Yeah, this is an optional step. When you download a template and self-host it, you don't need to add a web mapping application entry into ArcGIS Online that points to it. But it's a best practice because doing this enables other ArcGIS Online users to find and launch your app easily, and also allows your app to be added into ArcGIS Online galleries.

In ArcGIS Online, just go to My Content and click the 'Add Item' button. Chose the 'An Application' option in the 'The Item is' dropdown list at the top of the dialog that appears, and then enter the URL of your app.

In the Tags field, it's good to add 'map tour' and 'story map' as tags to help people find your entry if they search for examples of story maps or map tours. (It means your app will also show up nicely when we in the Story Maps team search ArcGIS Online looking for cool new apps people have made!). And don't forget to also add a full range of geographic place names in the Tags field. So if your map tour is about a particular US city, put name of the state the city is in into Tags field. This all makes it easier for people to find your tour.

After you've added your item, ArcGIS Online will take you to the new entry you've created. On that page, use the Edit button to perform any further edits to the entry, especially adding a nice looking 200x133 thumbnail image, such as one of the images from your tour for the thumbnail, or a screenshot of the tour. After you've saved your edits, click the Share button to share your application item publicly.

I'll update the Readme.pdf file for the map tour download to make it clearer how to add a web mapping application entry into ArcGIS Online to represent a map tour that you self-host.

Thanks
0 Kudos
AdamOlson
Occasional Contributor
Please specify further.

I clicked on Add Item then Item is APPLICATION then I see 4 selections under that.....

1) Web Mapping
2) Mobile
3) Desktop
4) Application

Which do I choose?
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
Web mapping
0 Kudos