ZsuzsaPiskoti

General questions relating to spatial statistics

Discussion created by ZsuzsaPiskoti on Jan 8, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 2, 2014 by ZsuzsaPiskoti
Hello,

I analyze the spatial distribution of crime and the connections between crime and social factors. I work with 610 polygon database.Now I would like to apply spatial statistics, but I have a little bit complex problem, which might derive for my less experiences in this field...
1. I'm going to perform spatial autocorrelation (Global Moran I) on my crime data. My crime data (it is expressed by a rate for
100 000 inhabitants) are strongly (positive) skewed. I've read, that it is problem for Moran I, so i transformed my data with lg10
(transformed crime data=lg10(crime data+1). Is it actually more reliable so, or not necessary?
2. I'd like to apply the hot spot analysis as well. My second question: Is this tool also sensible for normal distribution of data? If the answer is yes, I'm going to use my transformed crime data. But here comes the main problem: I would like to analyse that what
kind of social factros cause the distribution of crime, so I'd like to analyze the connection between social factors and crime with
Exploratory Regression. When I began my analysis I draw the scatterplots (of crime data without tranfromation and social factors) and I saw linear connections, but when I use the transformed data, these connections are dissappeard. So if I applied my original
variables in the Exploratory Regression (and then in GWR), would it "express" or "mirror" the distribution of transformed crime data (the results of Hot spot anlayis)? If the answer is not, what steps would you recommend me?

I'd like to say thank you very much for your help!
Susanne

Outcomes