Explorer difficulties- hard to click and type in Explorer

01-02-2014 05:28 AM
TracyDash
New Contributor III
Anyone know why when I open explorer, the hourglass next to my mouse appears and disappears every second? Makes it difficult to type and click things...

I have this issue even when I don't have a single basemap or layer on my map. I have adjusted every single setting in explorer, added and removed layers, and it still constantly cycles.

My coworker has the same issue as well.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

It sounds like the ArcGISConnectionBin.exe is not running correctly.  This is known to be a problem with Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 10.  Some have found that they can resolve the issue by un-checking 'Automatically detect setings' in Internet Explorer Options - Connections tab - Lan Settings.  Others have had to work with their IT department to make adjustments to Proxy Server settings.

So far we have not heard of anyone having this issue with Windows 8.

graphic explanation of the above:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30187[/ATTACH]

ielansettings.png

updated with image

-mark

0 Kudos
KarenFolger
Occasional Contributor II

Was again having the jumping clicker problem with Windows 8.1 in ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2505.  After reading this post I took a look at the ArcGISConnectionBin.exe and changed it to run in Windows 7 compatability mode.  That stopped the jumping cursor issue.  For now... PS... the attachment in this content is mostly blank so not sure what that was for.  Thanks for potentially pointing us in the right direction. 

0 Kudos
TracyDash
New Contributor III
Mark,

I've been dealing with that problem for months and now it's working great..I can't thank you enough!
0 Kudos
MattHeineman
Occasional Contributor

I have the hourglass problem too. I tried the above workaround turning off the Automatically detect settings without success.  I'm running Windows XP SP3, AGX 2505 on the laptop. This is a field laptop and intended for disconnected viewing. Can I disable ArcGISConnectionBin.exe altogether so AGX runs more smoothly?

0 Kudos
ErinBrimhall
Occasional Contributor II

Matt,

If the previously mentioned solutions do not resolve the problem, you can always just rename the ArcGISConnectionBin.exe file. 

No more hourglass/flicker in AGX then. 

MattHeineman
Occasional Contributor

BAM!! Problem solved!!

That was driving me nuts, thanks Erin Brimhall!!

0 Kudos