AnsweredAssumed Answered

Upgrade geodatabase on Oracle/HP-UX

Question asked by wrombaut on Dec 18, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 22, 2013 by wrombaut
As I have found no other method or place to ask this, I try it on this Forum. I presume employees from ESRI look at it from time to time.

I heard from our GIS-team that they would like to plan an upgrade to ArcGIS Server 10.2 to resolve a set of issues they encountered on 10.1

Out of curiosity, I checked the prerequisites for this upgrade, and noticed that an Oracle geodatabase on HP-UX is no longer in the supported geodatabases list.

Why is this support suddenly dropped ? What are we expected to do when we are currently running our Oracle geodatabase on HP-UX ?

I know there has been a lot of fuzz about Oracle stopping database development on HP-UX a few years ago, but :
- They backtracked, so there is no more issue
- Any fuzz there was, was about the upcoming 12c database, which is not yet supported by ArcGIS Server anyway.
- The Oracle 11gR2 database *was* supported on 10.1, so I would think it shouldn't be too difficult to support the same database on the same OS-version one minor release later ???

So, will support for Oracle/HP-UX be provided on a later data ? With an upcoming service pack ? That would be a great relief.
And if not, what does ESRI expect us to do ? We can't just move all our Oracle databases to a new platform, and moving the geodatabase alone will bring expensive licensing costs.

Outcomes