Access to documents through Portal for everyone in our organization

12-18-2013 01:11 PM
NeilMillward
New Contributor III
We have set up portal using an ArcGIS Online account for 12 users.

Currently we have a number of Flex applications and pdf maps that are served through our website. Some of the maps and applications are available to the public through our internet server and some are available only to people in the organization through our intranet server.

What I would like to do is use portal to serve all these maps. The problem I am having is how to make the documents available. I would like to be able to do the following:

1. Make some available to specific users in groups that I have set up. (not a problem for our 12 users)

2. Make some available to everyone. (also not a problem)

3. Make some available to everyone in my organization which is more than 12 people. (I am having a problem doing this)

Any help would be appreciated.

Neil M.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor

1. Make some available to specific users in groups that I have set up. (not a problem for our 12 users)

2. Make some available to everyone. (also not a problem)

3. Make some available to everyone in my organization which is more than 12 people. (I am having a problem doing this)

For #1, I imagine that you are simply creating a Group within Portal and then assigning access to it for each of the 12 users. 

For #2, I imagine that you are simply creating a Group within Portal and then assigning access to it using the "Everyone" checkbox. 

For #3, it almost sounds like you want to provide access to non-Portal users... is that correct?  In other words, this would be an expansion of #1 above for a different Group of content.  If I am understanding your needs correctly, then you can't allow the consumption of Group content within Portal to individuals who do not authenticate with a Portal account despite allowing anonymous access via the Edit Settings section of Portal.  Even if you were to put the desired content out on the homepage of Portal and make it part of the featured maps and apps for "all" to see, users who initially access Portal must still create an account to view content within any Group (featured maps and apps Group included).  If you're using Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA), then anyone on the domain who initially requests the Portal URL for the very first time will get a Portal account automatically generated.  If featured maps and apps are shared to Everyone, then technically anyone on the domain could then get to those maps you wish to publish as part of #3.  So in theory, this might be the only way or workaround to achieve #3 above.  If you're using the built-in user store for Portal, then you must first create an account for each person who will log in and then assign them access to the group of content you wish to share (including featured maps and apps, as an example). 

** Keep in mind that the functionality by which users can auto-generate a Portal account upon initial request of the Portal URL for the first time, this is default behavior that cannot be changed at 10.2.  However, this functionality is not default behavior at 10.2.1 but is configurable to be enabled.
0 Kudos