Where to start?  Creating a feature service or something else?

Jump to solution
12-18-2013 08:30 AM
TomKearns
Occasional Contributor II
I am interested in creating what I believe will be a feature service.  I want to have a remote user place a pin on a map.  The location of the pin will then intersect with a few raster layers and populate a table with information (slope, aspect...). After the intersection the user would be able to fill in the rest of the table.  I think a new featureclass would be best for each user, then I can merge them all after a QA/QC.

Is there a "how to" page for somthing like this? I have the ArcGIS Help open but am not sure if I am even going down the right path.

Thanks,

Tom
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Tom,

you don;t need to do anything in Arc SDE, just build a gdb create the domains and layers you want. Once that is created open an empty mxd, import one of your layers and setup the symbology you would like (create some example points to setup the symbology). Once that is done follow the steps of the link. Make sure to only check feature service and uncheck tiled map.

Once in Collector the user will be able to place a new point and choose, from drop downboxes the domains you have set up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Tom,

how to upload a feature service is described here.

You can't however automatically populate attributes through the collector app. You might be able to write a javascript for that, but I am not sure. What I would do is calculate those fields at a later time, via the attribute assistant, once the field collection is done.

Tim
0 Kudos
TomKearns
Ok, the autocollection can be done at a later time, I wondered how it would work since the feature services can't work with rasters.

I have a bit to do before I get to publishing it too.  I am starting from absolute zero.  Really I need a tutorial from very beginning to publication.

First I build a .GDB and it needs to be an ArcSDE geodatabase?  Can a File .GDB be turned into an ArcSDE one?

Then I build the featureclass with subtypes and domains, this will be what is edited.  The user will place a point on a basemap and then fill in the table. Then it will update to my gdb and I can run the attribute assistant?

Thanks
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Tom,

you don;t need to do anything in Arc SDE, just build a gdb create the domains and layers you want. Once that is created open an empty mxd, import one of your layers and setup the symbology you would like (create some example points to setup the symbology). Once that is done follow the steps of the link. Make sure to only check feature service and uncheck tiled map.

Once in Collector the user will be able to place a new point and choose, from drop downboxes the domains you have set up.
0 Kudos
TomKearns
Great!  Ill check back in as I have questions.  Thank you.
0 Kudos
TomKearns
The data could be coming in from field offices, not necessarally people on location.  If the editing is done via desktop could the fields be auto populated then?  We are using 10.1.

It would be best if the reporting parties had an opportunity to check the auto populated attributes to eliminate reporting errors. 

The ultimate goal is for them to just put a point on a map and have the table open.  They then check over whatever is already filled in and then use the dropdowns to complete the table.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
If you use ArcGIS Desktop, you can use the attribute assistant straight up. Only the field crew can't use it since it is an ArcGIS Desktop add-in.
0 Kudos