10.2 Geoprocessing history not showing up in metadata

12-17-2013 04:18 PM
DavidHarbor
New Contributor III
A recently installed 10.2 version doesn't produce geoprocessing history in new files or files created from 9.3-created files.  I need to have this option for a 25 student lab so that I can follow their process.  In the Customize/options tab, I have tried it with the "update" option check and unchecked, and tried it with several metadata types other than Item Description to no avail.

Is 10.2 different from 10.1 in the automatic inclusion of the history in the metadata ?
(it wipes out previously existing geoprocessing history as well)

UPDATE (13/12/18):  Tried editing the metadata for newly-created Raster dataset and a feature class in a newly created file geodatabase.  Neither has any Geoprocessing information from the tools used to create them.  If I have had 9.3 installed on my laptop or on the class lab machines, do I need to find and erase all the "ESRI" AppData?  Could this be a source of the problem?

Thanks
David
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
Is history logging enabled?  See Viewing tool execution history
Here's a snippet from that doc:

[INDENT]Enabling history logging

To enable the writing of history log files, do the following:

1.     From the Standard toolbar, click Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options.

2.     Enable (check) the Log geoprocessing operations to a log file check box.

[/INDENT]
0 Kudos
DavidHarbor
New Contributor III
Is history logging enabled?  See Viewing tool execution history
Here's a snippet from that doc:

[INDENT]Enabling history logging

To enable the writing of history log files, do the following:

1.     From the Standard toolbar, click Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options.

2.     Enable (check) the Log geoprocessing operations to a log file check box.

[/INDENT]

I do have the geoprocessing "log geoprocessing" box checked. Thanks.  And results are being written and saved to a history file in AppData.  The history files won't do me much good in the student lab because the C drive is frozen, and files won't persist day to day.  I really meant to ask about the geoprocessing history METADATA in the first post, but didn't say it explicitly.
Dave
0 Kudos
JoshThompson1
Occasional Contributor II
David,

You mentioned that you tried several metadata types.

Is it possible that this issue is related to FGDC metadata format?  Perhaps the geoprocessing history is contained in the metadata, but is not currently viewable?   Have you tried the option "FGDC CSDGM Metadata"?

Also, if the data is in a geodatabase, perhaps it may need to be upgraded?  (One of my personal geodatabases gave me the following message - see attachment.)

Josh
0 Kudos
DavidHarbor
New Contributor III

Have you tried the option "FGDC CSDGM Metadata"?

Also, if the data is in a geodatabase, perhaps it may need to be upgraded?

Thanks Josh.  Yes, I have tried the FGDC option, and I have both upgraded old file geodatabases, and created new ones in 10.2.  Neither results in geoprocessing metadata.  I don't use personal geodatabases because of a limitation with them I have since forgotten.  I am using 10.2 on my own laptop and one of the lab workstations, and neither is producing geoprocessing metadata.  If anyone out there IS getting geoprocessing metadata on 10.2, I would love to hear about what you did or didn't do.  Thanks.  Dave
0 Kudos
JoshThompson1
David,

Question:  Are you running the geoprocessing in the background?  I just did a quick test .  When I enabled the background processing option, no geoprocessing history was output to the metadata.  However, disabling this option produces the history in the metadata.

Perhaps you might be able to confirm this.

Josh
0 Kudos
JoshThompson1
Update:

This appears to be a software bug:

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDk2MTQ1
0 Kudos
DavidHarbor
New Contributor III
When I enabled the background processing option, no geoprocessing history was output to the metadata.  However, disabling this option produces the history in the metadata.

Thanks, Josh. That does it for me too.  And thanks for the bug tip as well. Love to have background geoprocessing, but not at the expense of metadata. Dave
JenniferHorsman
New Contributor
Too bad this is a bug!

I am updating several scripts from 9.3 that export metadata to an xml file and then copy the geoprocessing history to a log file. So, I am trying to export the metadata to a format that also exports the geoprocessing history, but I have yet to find an output format that retains this information.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
KamalPaudel1
New Contributor II

Has anybody tried it to see if the problem was solved in 10.2.2? We are planning to move to 10.2.2 soon and was wondering about it.

0 Kudos