Historic traffic data in StreetMap Premium? Or Data Dictionary for its tables?

Jump to solution
12-17-2013 09:20 AM
DavidMedeiros
Occasional Contributor III
I've recently installed StreetMap Premium 2013 release 2 (NavTeq) in our lab. It's being used for network analysis tasks that require detailed traffic speeds based on time of day.

The SMP data is supposed to have historic traffic information but I don't see of those fields in the Streets.sdc layer or any of the other street or road layers in the data. I do see two tables that look like they may have time of day traffic info: Patterns and Streets_Patterns.

The problem is, there is no metadata showing in ArcCatalog and the online help page provided for SMP does not list these tables in the Data Dictionary.

I have a help call in to Esri but I'm hoping a user here may already have dealt with this issue.

Where do I find the historic traffic data in StreetMap Premium? And where is the Data Dictionary for those tables?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

David
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidMedeiros
The issue turned out to be that we thought we purchased the full license for this data which includes all of the Network Datasets (where the historic traffic info lives). Instead we determined that there is an additional license level to the already "premium" dataset you need to purchase for that info.

Somewhat frustrated with the Esri licensing scheme for their data, and the difficulty in determining that this was the issue.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidMedeiros
I'm bumping this thread to see if I can get any help with figuring out where the historic traffic data is in the StreetMap Premium (NAVTEQ) data?

Esri's response to a help request was to ask that I contact NAVTEQ directly, despite the fact that this is an Esri branded product.

I can't be the only person who has purchased this product for it's historic traffic data. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

David
0 Kudos
paultsushima
New Contributor II
Hi David

Have you looked at the SMP help doc in the Routing section?  Open the help.htm file that's in the \documentation folder on DVD1.  The historic traffic data is built into the network dataset, so it's not like a table that you look at or a feature class.  The paragraph about historic traffic says this:

The historical traffic data can only be accessed with ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 or later. Using the historical traffic data will result in more accurate travel times, as the data stores traffic flow information by day of the week and time of day. For example, routing through the city at 7:30 am on a weekday will take longer than routing through the city at midnight. The traffic data can be utilized by specifying start times when creating routes using the Find Route tool or the Network Analyst extension. You can also display the traffic data by using the Time Slider tool. There is a new AvgTrafficTime impedance which can be used for routing. Using AvgTrafficTime, with or without specifying a start time, will use average speed values previously calculated from the historic traffic data. This will result in quicker performance than when selecting the TrafficTime impedance, which uses the actual historic traffic data based on time of day.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
DavidMedeiros
The issue turned out to be that we thought we purchased the full license for this data which includes all of the Network Datasets (where the historic traffic info lives). Instead we determined that there is an additional license level to the already "premium" dataset you need to purchase for that info.

Somewhat frustrated with the Esri licensing scheme for their data, and the difficulty in determining that this was the issue.
ISP_graynic
Occasional Contributor II

Hi David,

So for historic traffic data, you need to get StreetMap Premium Advanced?  I only have StreetMap (just the basic one) and I thought it used historic traffic data based on the fact when using Network Analyst the option to choose a time was enabled, but when I tested it I received the same results for service areas for different times.  I am not able to his historic traffic data and therefore use Network Analyst based on different times right?  I believe we are looking at getting HERE data from NOKIA soon so hopefully that will have historic traffic data with it (and network datasets already made too!)

Thanks

0 Kudos