Geodata service replicate from other than default working version

12-16-2013 03:09 PM
DanielSmith
Occasional Contributor III
Hello...

Is there any way to replicate from a different version of an SDE database other than the default working version?

--Daniel
Tags (2)
3 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
In general, it definitely is possible to replicate an SDE geodatabase and base it on a different version other than SDE.DEFAULT.  In fact, replicas can be based on any version you'd like; in other words, you can pick a version within your lineage to be a parent version and generate child replicas (and thus, child versions) from them.  Just give some thought about which user account is going to be specified when generating the child replica; that user account will become the owner of the replica. 

We do this all the time; our replicas are based on a different version than SDE.DEFAULT in all of our enterprise geodatabases.  Just remember, though, that if you take your database to State 0 then you will need to give some thought about dropping and rebuilding the replica(s) or synchronizing the replica(s) appropriately such that their corresponding versions (i.e., SYNC_SEND_XXX) end up with the same state ID as their parent and eventually as SDE.DEFAULT.

This all being said, these are typically the rules for traditional replication.  I'm not 100% sure if they apply in the same fashion for geodata services, but I think they do.
0 Kudos
DanielSmith
Occasional Contributor III
In general, it definitely is possible to replicate an SDE geodatabase and base it on a different version other than SDE.DEFAULT.  In fact, replicas can be based on any version you'd like; in other words, you can pick a version within your lineage to be a parent version and generate child replicas (and thus, child versions) from them.  Just give some thought about which user account is going to be specified when generating the child replica; that user account will become the owner of the replica. 

We do this all the time; our replicas are based on a different version than SDE.DEFAULT in all of our enterprise geodatabases.  Just remember, though, that if you take your database to State 0 then you will need to give some thought about dropping and rebuilding the replica(s) or synchronizing the replica(s) appropriately such that their corresponding versions (i.e., SYNC_SEND_XXX) end up with the same state ID as their parent and eventually as SDE.DEFAULT.

This all being said, these are typically the rules for traditional replication.  I'm not 100% sure if they apply in the same fashion for geodata services, but I think they do.

Thanks for the reply!!

To clarify, I am refering to the Default working version of the Geodata Service.

When a a geodata service is published it is based on the version specified in the connection file. When one does database replication from the map service associated with the geodata service there does not seem to be a way to specify which version the replica is created from and it defaults to the, you guessed it "Default working version". Currently this is a version named 'QA' and i was wondering if it was possible to replicate off of the 'default' version via the geodata service.

many thanks for any assistance.
0 Kudos
GusMartinka
Occasional Contributor

I too want to replicate a geodata service from something other than the "default working version" I see the rest end point shows the versions so it seems possible, even if it requires some code.

0 Kudos