Determining Sinuosity per Polygon

12-16-2013 05:49 AM
RobertFord1
Occasional Contributor
Hi all,

I am new to the network analyst extension so please forgive me if I ask naive questions!

My issue is this: I would like to determine the sinuosity of multiple polylines (rivers). However, I would like to perform this analysis per polygon. I know how to break up the polylines into the respective polygons, but I do not know how to determine the sinuosity of the line segments (or where to start).

Ultimately I would like to know the average sinuosity of all rivers per polygon.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
This isn't a Network Analyst question, so I've redirected your post to Spatial Analyst.  Hopefully someone here will be able to help you or redirect you to someone who can.  Good luck!
0 Kudos
RobertFord1
Occasional Contributor
I guess I could try and measure the straight line distance between the polyline endpoints and divide by the actual length. Then the questions for me would be:

1) How to determine the endpoints of every polyline and add them to the attribute table.

2) How to measure the distance between the endpoints and make sure it is a straight line distance calculated.

Thanks again!
0 Kudos