Publishing millions of features to ArcGIS Online

12-13-2013 12:21 AM
SimonLiu
New Contributor III
Hi,

I tried publishing a 30-million-point feature class (585 MB) to AGOL yesterday. I was using Desktop 10.2 and the feature class only had a couple of text attributes.

After spinning for five hours, I got an unknown error message (probably related to the size of the dataset!) and the publishing process failed.

Has anyone tried something similar and are there any known limits to the capacity of hosted feature services? In the past, I have seen an AGOL hosted feature service with half a million polygons, which must have had several million vertices, but it's quite possible that the feature count is more important than the number of vertices in deciding whether the publishing process succeeds or not.

Many thanks,
Simon
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Did you run the analysis before attempting to upload?

In the service editor window there is a button for Analyze.  Click that and it will Analyze your data for errors that you will need to resolve before uploading.

Hi,

I tried publishing a 30-million-point feature class (585 MB) to AGOL yesterday. I was using Desktop 10.2 and the feature class only had a couple of text attributes.

After spinning for five hours, I got an unknown error message (probably related to the size of the dataset!) and the publishing process failed.

Has anyone tried something similar and are there any known limits to the capacity of hosted feature services? In the past, I have seen an AGOL hosted feature service with half a million polygons, which must have had several million vertices, but it's quite possible that the feature count is more important than the number of vertices in deciding whether the publishing process succeeds or not.

Many thanks,
Simon
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Do you have a full subscription or a trial subscription?  There are some database size limits that you may be encountering if you have a trial. A full subscription should handle this, but even here, you are nearing the limits.

What is the error message you see?

What is your subscription ID? You can find it on the My Organization page.

Also, most client applications won't be able to display 30 million features at once. You would need to correctly set scale dependencies.  Here's a post that describes this:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/62176-Who-can-make-this-ESRI-S-reply-simple-and-easy-to-understand

If you're willing to share this dataset, I'd suggest contacting Esri Technical Support so that we can test this out. You can give them your subscription ID as well, so we can check your current usage.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
SimonLiu
New Contributor III
Hi,

There weren't any errors in the Analyze stage, and I'm using a full subscription account.

I've reported the issue to Esri Technical Support as suggested. Meanwhile, this was the dataset I tried to publish (it uploaded successfully):

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=423593dd68b441e38d31d58fc31ff98e
0 Kudos