Mapping Consumer Spending variables

12-11-2013 11:08 AM
PaulAmos
New Contributor
I was wondering the best way to map the consumer spending variables. In previous version of Business Analyst, the consumer spending variables were fields in the attribute tables for the Demographic Layers (BDS) -- block groups, tracts, counties, states, etc. I went to the layer properties for the States layer and want to create a map of Total Consumer Expenditures by state but the CEX variables are not part of the attribute table. 

Any suggestions or did I mess something up in the installation as the reason why the variables are not showing up?

Thanks!
Paul
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
I was wondering the best way to map the consumer spending variables. In previous version of Business Analyst, the consumer spending variables were fields in the attribute tables for the Demographic Layers (BDS) -- block groups, tracts, counties, states, etc. I went to the layer properties for the States layer and want to create a map of Total Consumer Expenditures by state but the CEX variables are not part of the attribute table. 

Any suggestions or did I mess something up in the installation as the reason why the variables are not showing up?

Thanks!
Paul

Paul,

The consumer spending variables were actually moved off of the default BDS layers for performance reasons and are calculated behind the scenes as they are still available in Append Data.  One will have to use Standard Geographies trade area tool to create the boundary and then use Append Data to append the desired consumer spending variables.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
JessicaSantiago
New Contributor

Hi Jason,

The instructions you gave above I used a year ago when we upgraded to 10.1 with 2012 data, and it worked perfectly. It is a year later, and I need to do the same thing again for the our current upgrade (10.2.2, 2014 Business Analyst data). I have my standard geography (block groups for the US) ready, however, I can no longer find the Consumer Expenditure data under the variables when I use the append data tool under favorites on the Business Analyst toolbar. With no luck, I also tried to create a custom BDS layer and could not find the data there either.

I run reports using the Consumer Expenditure data, so I know the install is correct and everything is properly licensed. My only option to map this data at this point is to use the esri.bg.bds layer as my trade area, run a report with the particular CEX variables I need using the ID as my store ID and output as excel, then join the spreadsheet back to the esri.bg.bds layer to create a thematic map.

Please let me know if there is something I am missing, or if this data is no longer accessible for mapping other than my work around. Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Jessica

0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor

Jessica,

You should be able to resolve by installing the latest patch for BA10.2.2 as it addresses a bug specific to this issue.  URL is below.

Esri Business Analyst 10.2.2 General Patch 3 | Samples and Utilities

Regards,

Jason R.

0 Kudos
PaulAmos
New Contributor
Thanks Jason. I was afraid of that. Since they are no longer included in the block group layer, I guess I will have to create a layer with the CEX variables to use as a sales potential layer for when I want to run the Huff model computation.
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks Jason. I was afraid of that. Since they are no longer included in the block group layer, I guess I will have to create a layer with the CEX variables to use as a sales potential layer for when I want to run the Huff model computation.

Paul,

Creating a custom BDS layer with Custom Data Setup is another option to have a layer with consumer spending/market potential variables.  A last option would be to turn on the color coded maps toolbar.  I double checked and selecting a local BDS layer in there that the consumer spending/market potential are there also.

Regards,
Jason r.
0 Kudos