Re: 'Update Failed - Updates could not be sent' error

12-09-2013 09:46 AM
DavidRoss1
New Contributor II
I have been getting the 'Update Failed - Updates could not be sent' error on both my android phone and tablet using the updated Collector app.  The error this seemed to replace, which I was also getting, was the 'edit not applied' error.  Also, I am not able to add an editable point to my web map via ArcGISonline (I currently have an organization account).  This editable feature service was created with feature access where all of the operations are enabled.  When trying to add an editable point via ArcGISonilne, I can click on my point template and the map does say 'Click to add a point' but it won't actually let me add the point.

I feel like I'm missing some type of permission, but at this point I really don't know what's going on.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Tags (2)
19 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Did you enable sync on the service?
DavidRoss1
New Contributor II
I did read that in the thread, 'Error "Edit Not Applied" when collecting with the Collector app (Android)' but can't seem to find that 'syncing' option.  Where exactly should I be looking for this at?
0 Kudos
DavidRoss1
New Contributor II
I did the following but once I click the edit button for the feature service, there is no Editing or Track Edits options.

Accessing editor settings
To access the editor settings for hosted feature services, follow these steps:
1. Publish a hosted feature service on ArcGIS Online.
2. Log in to the ArcGIS.com website and click My Content.
3. Click the name of your feature service to view its item details.
4. Click the Edit button.
5. Scroll down to view and modify the editor settings, which are in the Editing and Track Edits sections of the page.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
In desktop you will see the sync option on the feature service capabilites (Add Update Delete Sync) or on AGOL when you go to the item page for that service and click edit you will see the sync option at the bottom of the page where you can enable editor tracking.Can you share the service with me an I can check it out.

Russ
0 Kudos
DavidRoss1
New Contributor II
In desktop you will see the sync option on the feature service capabilites (Add Update Delete Sync) or on AGOL when you go to the item page for that service and click edit you will see the sync option at the bottom of the page where you can enable editor tracking.Can you share the service with me an I can check it out.

Russ

Unfortunately I don't see those options in either of those places.

http://lincolnne.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=1f696472961a45cdbc7d5792ea3ce762

Here's the Rest URL: http://ags3.lincoln.ne.gov/arcgis/rest/services/ParksAndRecreation/TreeEdit/FeatureServer
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Your server is 10.11. Sync is only supported on 10.2.2 servers and up. You will need to upgrade your server to get the sync functionality working on your on-prem server.

Russ

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
That is an ArcGIS Server service and not a hosted feature service. So the AGOL information will not be present on the feature service item page if you added the service to AGOL. The next thing I saw on the service is the editor tracking field CreatedBy. I took a look at the error coming back:

{"error":{"code":400,"message":"Unable to complete operation.","details":["Invalid column value [CreatedBy]"]}}

I am thinking this is happening because with editor tracking and the ArcGIS Server service is not secured which does not use the logged in name and it is trying to populate this field with esri_anonymous which is longer then the field you have set up allows. Maybe try to change the character length of the field and see if that works when you republish the service.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
DavidRoss1
New Contributor II
That is an ArcGIS Server service and not a hosted feature service. So the AGOL information will not be present on the feature service item page if you added the service to AGOL. The next thing I saw on the service is the editor tracking field CreatedBy. I took a look at the error coming back:

{"error":{"code":400,"message":"Unable to complete operation.","details":["Invalid column value [CreatedBy]"]}}

I am thinking this is happening because with editor tracking and the ArcGIS Server service is not secured which does not use the logged in name and it is trying to populate this field with esri_anonymous which is longer then the field you have set up allows. Maybe try to change the character length of the field and see if that works when you republish the service.

Cheers
Russ

Russ, thank you so much!  Changed the character length and now it works wonderfully. 

However, for some reason the app is crashing when I change the base map to our current aerial, but I'll go look for that in another forum. 

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I'm having the same problem, how did you fix this?  I've been modifying the feature service until I get it to behave exactly the way I want and it stopped working when first I added a raster field and second when I enabled attachments.  I am thinking I may eliminate the raster field as attachments serve my purpose better.

UPDATE:  I am not using a hosted feature service.

UPDATE: Removing the raster field seems to have done the trick.  Not sure what the issue was there.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos