IE11 mouse wheel scrolling and map zoom

12-05-2013 11:32 AM
EdwardSohn1
New Contributor
I upgraded to IE11 to improve performance from IE9 and now the mouse wheel scrolling zoom in/out is affected.
Whether I scroll up/down the map only zooms in, not out.

This is not seen with IE9 nor IE10 nor chrome nor firefox.
Just IE 11.

is there a workaround...?
Quick answer would be appreciated.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
33 Replies
DanMallett
Esri Contributor
I use a trackpad and it seems to work fine in IE11, but I have colleagues with mouse wheels reporting the same issue.
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
We're aware of the issue but there isn't a workaround.

We have fixed this for the next release of the API (3.8) which will be out in the next two weeks or so.
0 Kudos
EdwardSohn1
New Contributor
We're aware of the issue but there isn't a workaround.

We have fixed this for the next release of the API (3.8) which will be out in the next two weeks or so.

Sorry if this is a newbie question: but how do you upgrade the API for JavaScript?
I am actually using a customized storytelling swipe template map app.
How would one go about upgrading the underlying API to 3.8?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Easiest way is to change the URL in the script tag that loads the API. Once 3.8 is out, it will be at http://js.arcgis.com/3.8/ (obviously not live yet).
0 Kudos
JaniceBaird
Occasional Contributor II
I added a function to handle the mouse wheel to correct this problem:

dojo.connect(map, "onMouseWheel", mouseWheelHandler);

function mouseWheelHandler(evt) {
    var intDelta = evt.wheelDelta;
    try {
        if (intDelta < 0) {
            map.setLevel(map.getLevel() - 1);
        } else {
            map.setLevel(map.getLevel() + 1);
        }
    } catch (exp) { console.debug(exp.Description); }
}
0 Kudos
EdwardSohn1
New Contributor
It worked.  But it messed up scroll/zooming for firefox.  So had to put in browser/version detection for IE11 (for now) as a quick workaround however.
0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Edward,

If Janice's post answered your question (or helped you out), you should click the check mark and/or the up arrow in her post.

You've posted many questions and have received many answers, but you haven't marked any posts (including your own) as having answered your questions. Marking the thread as answered helps others who are looking for answers to these questions in the future. It also rewards the people who help you through the MVP program.
0 Kudos
AndrewWillingale
New Contributor III
Hi Derek.

Not sure whether you'll see this but do you have a release date for 3.8 please? It looks like it's being hosted already but I don't want to move to it without knowing what may have changed.

Thanks,
Andrew.
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
No release date yet...can you test with 3.8 and confirm that the IE11 scrolling issue is fixed with that version?
0 Kudos