jvondracek

Service Pack & Patch confusion

Discussion created by jvondracek on Jul 8, 2010
Latest reply on Mar 28, 2014 by bvc826
Issue #1:
In the past, when I've looked for ArcGIS Desktop Service Packs and Patches, I've seen those updates listed in chronological order, newest to oldest, on this page: http://resources.arcgis.com/content/patches-and-service-packs?fa=listPatches&PID=43  That made sense to me since I usually want to see what the latest updates are, particularly in the case of Service Packs which typically include previous patches since the last Service Pack.  On the new Resource Center site, I'm not sure what order the Patches are in, but it's not chronological.  It doesn't appear to be alphabetical either.  Whatever order they are listed in, it's confusing and not terribly useful.

Issue #2:
As I write this, the foremost Patch shown in the Latest Patches and Service Packs list is "ArcGIS 9.3 SP1, 9.3.1 and 9.3.1 SP1 Desktop Feature Selection Symbol Scaling Patch 07-02-2010".  If I look under ArcInfo Desktop, that Patch is not listed.  If I look under ArcEditor, that Patch is not listed.  If I follow the link to this Patch from the main Patches and Service Packs page, the bread crumbs at the top of the page for the Patch indicate that it is under ArcGIS Server.  Huh?  The description of the Patch indicates that it fixes an issue with selection symbol scaling in ArcMap.  Why is this Patch under ArcGIS Server?  Even if the Patch also applies to ArcGIS Server, it should be listed in the other applicable locations, too.

Outcomes