Using consistent colours across StoryMap templates

12-01-2013 02:53 PM
InformationManager
New Contributor II
Hi,

Currently when using the 'builder mode' to change header, content and footer colours, you can not type in the colour code to match the colours used by your organisation. I am having use the developer environment with each of the StoryMap templates to change the colours which is proving very time consuming.

Is the ArcGIS Online update going to allow the user to manually type in the required colours or is there another way to simplify this process?

Thanks for your time.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor
This current limitation has been noted and the team will look to implement this - I don't believe it will make this next update (next week) but if not, then one soon after.
0 Kudos
InformationManager
New Contributor II
Thanks Bern for considering this issue in future updates.
0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor
If you are creating many map tours with the same look and feel (color scheme, logo, etc.), another option would be to download the source code and modify the index.html file with your custom CSS and logo and host it on your server.

From there, you can create a map tour with the interactive builder in ArcGIS Online. Once you have added the photos and text, you can use the appID that you see in the URL and append it to url of the map tour hosted on your organization's server. It will use all the application data that you added through the builder and always allow you to edit the app through the builder but the color scheme will be overridden by the new code you insert.

An example URL might be:
http://www.sample.com/map-tour/?appid=18ea32008c3f43a898096f4e30e85e79

Any time you create a new map tour, you can use the same URL but just switch out the AppId (in red).
0 Kudos
InformationManager
New Contributor II
If you are creating many map tours with the same look and feel (color scheme, logo, etc.), another option would be to download the source code and modify the index.html file with your custom CSS and logo and host it on your server. 

From there, you can create a map tour with the interactive builder in ArcGIS Online. Once you have added the photos and text, you can use the appID that you see in the URL and append it to url of the map tour hosted on your organization's server. It will use all the application data that you added through the builder and always allow you to edit the app through the builder but the color scheme will be overridden by the new code you insert. 

An example URL might be: 
http://www.sample.com/map-tour/?appid= 18ea32008c3f43a898096f4e30e85e79

Any time you create a new map tour, you can use the same URL but just switch out the AppId (in red).

Thanks for clarifying this situation Stephen as this is the current workflow I am undertaking. I am downloading the source files from ESRI GitHub, editing the code files in Aptana 2 for testing and will host on our server. Haven't quite got to the finished product just yet.
0 Kudos