How do I make an index grid line up with a decimal degrees graticule?

11-29-2013 10:35 AM
TiffanySprague
New Contributor III
I routinely label my maps with a .01 degree graticule for ease of use with GPS. Now I want to create an index grid around the perimeter labeled in letters and numbers like a common road map. I want the index grid to correspond to the graticule, but I can't figure out how to do that. The index grid only allows me to define a number of intervals across and down my map extent, which don't match up with my decimal degree graticule. Is it possible to get the two things to correspond or am I doing this wrong?

Thanks!

Dan Gruber
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
Try a measured grid instead?
0 Kudos
TiffanySprague
New Contributor III
Try a measured grid instead?

I'm very much an amateur. My understanding was that measured grids are simply graticules for projected coordinate systems. Could you please provide more detail about how using a measured grid would accomplish what I want - getting letter and number index boxes to correspond to the graticule rectangles? Or maybe point me at a Help or Forum location where I can get more information.

What I want is for a user to be able to find features in box "C6" on a map rather than having to specify a range of latitude/longitude coordinates - but I want the boxes to correspond to .01 degree intervals.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
I don't think that there's a dynamic solution to your question. If all of your maps are the same size and static, you could get the reference grid to line up by creating data frame that is say 8 degrees by 12 degrees, create a measured grid in 0.5 degree intervals, then create a reference grid on top of that with 16 columns and 24 rows.
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
I don't think that there's a dynamic solution to your question. If all of your maps are the same size and static, you could get the reference grid to line up by creating data frame that is say 0.1 x 0.1 degrees, create a measured grid in 0.01 degree intervals, then create a reference grid on top of that with 10 columns and 10 rows.
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
Sorry, whatever firewall I'm behind won't let me edit or delete posts...
0 Kudos